Have you ever felt like a pill head asking a doctor for specific medication?

I don't know why, I guess all the hospital shows I watch...it makes me feel like they will think something bad about me if I go in and ask for certain medication. I have taken about every anti-depressant known to man, so I know which ones I can/can't take and which ones have/haven't worked for me. I would think they'd appreciate that I don't waste their time with trial and error. I also don't want to be a guinea pig any more. I know I need to get back on medication. DH is in Iraq and I'm just a big ball of emotions. I also want to ask about some sort of weight loss help, because I have no energy for one. I also need an appetite suppressant. I need to lose 50 pounds and it's hard to do when you are depressed. Any how, have you ever felt odd about this? Or is it just me?

Mrs.B3

Asked by Mrs.B3 at 3:32 PM on Apr. 19, 2010 in Just for Fun

• If you know what works, then it's great that you can cut to the chase and just get the good stuff. I've had to tell doctors or dentists who wanted to give me Tylenol 3 with codeine to not bother because it doesn't work. Then, they asked what did, so I'd tell them. I'm sure they appreciate not having to call in a new prescription every week because the last one didn't work.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 6:00 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• When I was pregnant with my second son I went to the ER because there were no clinics open on a Sunday. I had terrible morning sickness and needed meds for it. Because I'd been prescribed meds with my first pregnancy I knew the name of the Rx I needed, so I told the ER doc what it was. He only prescribed me enough to get me to my next appt, but I had no qualms asking for what I needed. I mean honestly I probably knew better than the ER doc who doesn't treat hyperemesis gravidarum on a regular basis, what worked for me.

I will say though, that generally I try to always go to the same clinic my Dr works out of. Even if I can't see him, they have all my records and can look up old Rx's or see what has and hasn't worked previously.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 3:38 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I was supposed to have my wisdom teeth taken out before I got pregnant..then became pregnant, so I couldn't...and my teeth had been fine, they didn't hurt...then during I think it was like my 6th or 7th month of my pregnancy, my teeth started to hurt so bad that I could hardly open my mouth. So I went to my OB and was like..I know I can't get any dental work done while I'm pregnant...I don't know what to do, I've been taking 1,000mg of ibuprofen, and it doesn't touch the pain..I can't eat, I can't do anything, it hurts so bad (mind you I had a 1 1/2 year old too lol) and so she gave me percoset (sp?) because that's all they can really give you when your pregnant...so I kinda felt like she thought I was jerking her chain to get pain meds because I know this one girl who used to play everything off when she was pregnant to get prescription after prescription of pain meds to abuse....but whatever, I used them the right way
    Anonymous

• I went to a doctor who used me as a guinea pig a few years ago. So I went through several medications that he assured me would work. I felt like a zombie on 4 different medications. I need some help with depression and weight loss, but I know that's kind of contradictory. Anti-depressants cause weight gain most the time. I just feel like a 60 year old woman and I have three kids, one of which is 10 months old to take care of. I can't keep up!
    Mrs.B3

Answer by Mrs.B3 at 3:53 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I think if you have a history of a certain illness and you know a certain medication has worked for you in the past then it'd be okay to tell that to the doctor. But I don't know if I'd walk into a clinic and just be like "I think I have _____ and I need a prescription for ______".
    Anonymous

• LOL! I know what you mean! No, I know my history and what has worked. I think I worry some times if a doctor may think I'm being as ass or thinking I know more than they do!
    Mrs.B3

Answer by Mrs.B3 at 4:55 PM on Apr. 19, 2010