My Cat

Is 18 and ill. Very ill. she started heading south in Janruary and now she's clinging onto life --- the vet thinks I should put her to sleep. I am pro life-- I believe that death should naturally come. I love my cat like it was my child. I'm tossed up and dont know what to do. She is suffering even with meds on board
She and I have been thru a lot together, what would you do? WWJD?

MELRN

Asked by MELRN at 3:36 PM on Apr. 19, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Put the kitty to sleep! She will be in a better place! Just think about it you are wanting to keep the kitty alive for you will miss her! It is all for you and your wants! It does not hurt the kitty they just go to sleep! Try to keep your spirits up!
    jem102675

Answer by jem102675 at 3:41 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• You know what you need to do. It's time.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:41 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I was in the situation myself with my cat. She was 16...congestive heart failure, kidney failure. We had to give her IV fluids at home. She could barely get around on her own. Finally, I realized I was being selfish (not saying you are) by allowing her to keep going the way she was. It was the hardest thing I ever had to do, but finally I did have her euthanized. At least it's humane, and they go peacefully. Good luck.
    rlhall1980

Answer by rlhall1980 at 3:42 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• my problem is this .. I feel like what gives me the authority to do such a thing? I'm an emotional rollercoaster right now forgive me if I sound dumb I'm just a mess
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 3:43 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Your the only one that can make this decision for the cat. You may not like having to make the decision but its your to make, do whats best for the cat. It's not easy but necessary.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 3:46 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Hey... I've been in this position but I was really young making that decision. I personally put my dog to sleep because she looked in constant pain. The pain pills hadn't worked and she quit walking and eating. It was the hardest decision that I had ever made at the time but I felt it was the right decision. I'm personally not pro-life.. I'm more of a Pro-whatever you think is best type person, I guess Pro-choice, but I felt it was the best decision. Our dachshund now is getting older and although she's far from being put down or anything, I know that I might have to make that decision as well. I personally feel like if the animal is barely hanging on, that it's better that they not suffer just to be there for comfort for you. If that makes any sense. I'm so very sorry that this is happening and I pray for your strength.
    Anonymous

• What Jesus would do does not matter here. NO OFFENCE! Honestly though how much do you love your cat? Do you want it to suffer? These are the only questions you need to ask and only you can answer them.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 3:56 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Your cat is suffering. Let her go.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 4:07 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Think of it this way. If your cat lived in the wild, she would never survive in this condition. You are extending her life unnaturally with meds, but to what purpose other than to delay your own suffering? Be selfless and put an end to your kitty's pain and suffering. It's the most humane thing to do, even if it's one of the hardest. **hugs**
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 4:17 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• WHy did you post this twice?
    It's very hard, but being a pet owner is making choices FOR the animal. Help your cat....let her go peacefully.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 4:52 PM on Apr. 19, 2010