Big Families

I've been watching the Duggars a lot on TLC. (For those who don't know, they have 19 children.) I've been thinking about it, and I wouldn't mind having a pretty big family. Maybe not 19 kids, but maybe 9 or so. For those that have large families, what are some challenges you have? How do you organize everything? How do you give each child mommy time?

AirForceWife14

Asked by AirForceWife14 at 3:45 PM on Apr. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• I only have 5 lol. Im nothing like the duggar mom. I am nowhere near as organized. I take one kid with me to the store or where ever Ihave to go. 4 are in school and the baby gets my attention all day. Thankfully money isnt an issue. I wouldnt change a thing.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 3:54 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Don't do it unless you have a huge supportive family who will help you. You house will always be a mess, and you won't sleep for years. Plus, NOBODY, and I mean NOBODY will want to babysit all of your kids so you can get away, and very few people will want all of you to come to their house for dinner You won't have one on one time for any of them with the exception of the infants who are nursing. The 3 women I know doing this put on a great front, but are MISERABLE a lot of the time.
    Anonymous

• i am pregnant with #5. i don't think it is as bad as anon says. the kids don't need all the moms attention all the time. they love to play with each other, well mine do. i love watching those shows for organizational tips!! we have found that we have moments of pure chaos...but those moments pass, and we have moments of pure peace, and we really appreciate those times more than we used to. we couldn't imagine life any other way now that we have them!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 5:20 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I agree with you with 5 kids.....I was referring to my friends who have 9 and 13. I'm not exaggerating....
    Anonymous

• oh my goodness anon lol Youre house will always be a mess?! Sure if you sit on your butt and dont clean or you dont teach your kids to pick up their own messes. Also its a very broad statement to say noone will want to wacth your kids, you dont know everyones family or friend situation. I have 5 and manage wonderfully I even get a full nights sleep:)
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 8:03 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I have 5 children and one step DD. I work so it does get hard to get that one on one they need, but I work hard at it. My ex hubby is one of 8. His mom stayed at home, but one on one was not a big priority. The olders took care of the youngers. You just have to take one day at a time. My kids are great. Last night me and my 4 yr old spent the evening at the pet store...he love to shop for "squeaky toys" as he puts it. We had a good time.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:04 AM on Apr. 20, 2010