12 moths old and unable to use a sippy cup?

Is this normal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:21 PM on Apr. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We used the Nuby too. It will take a few times. I introduced my son to a sippy around 6 months and it took him until 8 months until he fully understood what to do with it and how to get more than a sip or so out of it. Also - my son started to prefer straw cups when he was around a year old.

Answer by missanc at 5:02 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Unable or unwilling?
    Anonymous

• My DD wouldn't use them at all. I got her the ones with the straw instead.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:24 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Try different ones!

They have some that have a softer tip... not a hard plastic. This helps the transition wonders. Give it time slowly bring it in, and there will be trial and error with what cup your 12 month old will take as a replacement.

Good luck
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 4:26 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• If you give them the choice to use a bottle, they will. If you take the bottle away completely and just give them the sippy cup then they have no choice but to use it. Try different ones til they get it. Walmart carries some called Nuby. Those worked with my first son because of the silicone spout.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 4:29 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• If you're just starting to transition, don't expect it to be so smooth. My son just didn't get it at first, but I refused to let him use a bottle (he was BF and didn't know how to hold a bottle either). He figured it out. Start with the soft spout and two handles.
    brookebella

Answer by brookebella at 5:09 PM on Apr. 19, 2010