What do you use for fertilizer in you vegetable garden?

And how to you spread it?

When I was a kid, my great grandmother always buried dead fish my dad would bring home from fishing. She said that was a good fertilizer, is this true?

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 4:27 PM on Apr. 19, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I use a combo of homemade compost & well-aged & composted horse manure from a friend who owns a stable.

I typically will add fresh manure in the Fall as part of my Fall clean-up, then leave it to age in the garden all winter until Spring planting time. About 30 days before I want to plant in the Spring, I will work some fresh compost into the soil to get it ready.

I will side dress with compost again once the plants flower (that takes a lot of energy & they'll need the boost), depending on what type of plant it is, as some may need the extra feed earlier or later. If the plant is the type that sets fruit all at once & I expect a second harvest, I will side dress again after the first harvest.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:07 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I use aged horse manure. I spread it with a pitchfork. I am guessing that the fish is an OK fertilizer, but I never tried it, and I'd be afraid of animals digging them up.

Answer by Bmat at 4:38 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I just make a compost out of old food scraps.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 4:43 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I use mushroom soil.
    Courtney610

Answer by Courtney610 at 4:45 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• This year I am getting horse manure from a neighbor and hay to lay on top. I have also heard that coffee grounds work well and i may be trying that this year as well. We have also started composting old produce
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 4:49 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• We use aged horse, chicken, and rabbit manure. Fish are just another source of organic matter that provides nitrogen to the soil and many vegetables are heavy feeders of nitrogen.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 8:59 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• my mom uses tegro.
    tegro is poop
    mommyajay

Answer by mommyajay at 9:00 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Oh, and I forgot to say, yes, fish is an excellent fertilizer. You can even buy a commercial fish emulsion to fertilize your plants with. Fish is especially good for plants that require high nitrogen, like corn.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:09 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Thanks for all your answers! Very helpful! Happy Gardening everyone!! :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:34 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Horse manure, then till it under.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 8:27 AM on Apr. 20, 2010