This must be the reason why Obama is trying to make us more like Europe!

Who wouldn't want this? An overseas holiday used to be thought of as a reward for a year’s hard work. Now Brussels has declared that tourism is a human right and pensioners, youths and those too poor to afford it should have their travel subsidised by the taxpayer.

The scheme, which could cost hundreds of millions of pounds a year, is intended to promote a sense of pride in European culture, bridge the north-south divide in the continent and prop up resorts in their off-season.

Antonio Tajani, the European Union commissioner for enterprise and industry, unveiled his plan last week at a ministerial conference in Madrid, believes the days when holidays were a luxury have gone. “Travelling for tourism today is a right. The way we spend our holidays is a formidable indicator of our quality of life,” he said.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article7100943.ece

Agree or not? What do you think?

29again

Asked by 29again at 4:39 PM on Apr. 19, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Agree? Are you crazy? Thats the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 5:45 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• What is the incentive to work and save your money?! Pride USED to be having things to show for your hard work, dedication, fiscal responsibility! Ah, the good ol' days...when people appreciated and were rewarded for such things! *sigh*
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:43 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• But, if travel is a human right, what incentive do you need? Knowing you will get to travel regardless of how much money you make? I really hope this does not come here.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 4:59 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Disagree.

I think that people who have less than two functioning brain cells should never, EVER, be allowed outside by themselves, and certainly should not get paid to force their stupidity on others. I think that such profound stupidity feeds on itself and reproduces. I think that if the EU and it's people really buy into it, they deserve it (and all of the taxes it implies). I think that people accidently born in America who want this should have the taxpayers move them back across the pond to whatever country will take them. Make sure they get one way tickets!

I'm beginning to understand why bidets are so popular over there.

I think that it's time to start keeping peanut butter in my pocket so when politicians reach in to look for change for their next hair brained idea they take them out on their own rather than making me pop their fingers.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 5:02 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• This give me lots of random thoughts:

- traveling is not a right.
    - Encouraging tourism can be good for the economy, but there are lots of travel-associated taxes that can be cut to do that.
    - I'll take this with a small grain of salt because a European can travel into a foreign country with less miles than it takes for me to leave my state.
    Anonymous

• It's SILLY. As it is, Europeans are remarkably well-traveled and it's rare for one NOT to have a passport from an early age. I know a couple of British teenagers who've done more traveling in less than two decades than I have in more nearly five, because it already is cheap and easy.

Of course, it wouldn't be a bad thing for the US if they subsidized travel to THIS country.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:10 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Maybe being unemployed is a RIGHT, and we should have a right to not work if we don't want to.  

Liposuction should be a right, if you have heavy thighs or a flabby belly, it will make you feel insecure, and that is bad, right?

Plastic surgery is a right, because it's not fair that I have small breasts and other women have large breasts.  We should all have the same size breasts, dammit!

I could go on.....

(sarcasm present)

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 7:41 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Good grief..sure traveling is a right when you can afford to pay for it..not when you think of it as a need that should be provided at the tax payers expense...i'm not surprised with Europe though..almost daily there is some nutty ass thing to read about over there.Anyway,I live in America not Europe and in America travel is a privledge and folks earn their money to be able to travel.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:22 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• well a solid gold spoon up the azz is evidently a right now too...
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:37 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• It is going to be impossible to pick a best answer for THIS question!! LOL, I can see that this idea is SOOO not popular over here.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 8:42 PM on Apr. 19, 2010