my son says hes hungry but he wont eat

my 3 1/2 year old son says hes hungry but wont eat, at normal meals times he will not want to eat he will take a bite or two and hes done. whats wrong ?

elias1mamma22

Asked by elias1mamma22 at 4:58 PM on Apr. 19, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Sometimes kids can't tell the difference between hunger, tummy ache, or having to poop. If it only happens sometime that might be it.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:01 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Mine did the same thing. It was a phase that he is progressively growing out of. Here's what helped me.
    First is to have him involved in the meal prep. If he helps make it he will eat more of it.
    Second is to praise him be his cheerleader when he eats.

Good Luck to you I know it's sooo not fun. And if your worried he's not getting enough nutrient you can give him one of those carnation breakfast shakes.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 5:02 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I agree with Gailll...I used to always have to ask..do you think you need to eat, throw up or go poop? Hahaha...he was a little confused sometimes.

He will be fine though. Just keep offering.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:06 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• he diff helps me allot hes my lil helper when it comes to cooking and cleaning he likes to dust and help vacuum with the hose
    elias1mamma22

Answer by elias1mamma22 at 5:19 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• My son sometimes doesn't understand the difference between hunger and thirst. He's 3 1/2 as well and half the time he says he's hungry when really all he wants is some juice. Kids go through phases too. My son will eat like a little piggy for a few days and then hardly eat anything at all for a couple...his doc says it's normal as long as he's hydrated and as long as he's eating nutritious foods when he does want to eat.
    Anonymous

• I agree with him not knowing the difference between thirst and hunger. When he says he is hungry, give him a glass of water to see if that helps. The majority of time someone is hungry, they are really thirsty and starting to dehydrate. Also, a 3 1/2 year old doesn't need a lot of food. A couple of tablespoons is a serving size.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:16 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• my son is a big eater he will ask me for 2nds but now he does not want to eat, im not to worried because he drinks lots of water and milk so i know he wont get dehydrated i just wanted to see if this is what some of you ladies go through
    elias1mamma22

Answer by elias1mamma22 at 7:21 PM on Apr. 19, 2010