Talking to our sons about periods

Should I include periods in "the talk" with my sons? If so, how much do I tell them? If you told your son about periods, how did they react? Were they grossed out, embarrassed or curious?

Thanks

robwife

Asked by robwife at 5:24 PM on Apr. 19, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• why would you talk to your son about it?
    Anonymous

• I didn't talk to my son about them. I didn't see the need to except to say PMS was due to hormones. Between me and my two daughters we drove him nuts! lol

Answer by admckenzie at 5:43 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

Because, it is important for them to understand how a woman's body works. When they teach sex/heath in school both boys and girls learn about how both bodies work.

(OP) Yes, I told my boys how a woman's body works they might find it gross, but i believe it is important to know
    EternalDreams

Answer by EternalDreams at 5:44 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I agree with EternalDreams...think about it. We know about how men's bodies work: that they ejaculate sperm and that when it meets the egg we can get pregnant. They need to know the same: that a woman's body releases the egg. The thing is, we know what happens to sperm if we don't get pregnant; they will wonder what happens to the egg, which is why you need to explain periods. When my sons get to the age where we begin talking in detail about sex and making babies, I will explain to them about periods. I'm sure they will be embarrassed...it's a sex talk with mom. You would be embarrassed if your dad talked to you about sex at that age. I would just give them the basics: a woman's body releases an egg each month, and if it is not fertilized (she doesn't get pregnant) then her body has a lining where the baby would grow, but instead it sheds that lining, in the form of a period. Simple, but clear.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 5:53 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• If you don't feel comfortable teaching him about it, he will get the talk in health class by 6th grade. My son got that talk in 6th grade and came home and told me he now understood why I was so crabby once a month. I explained periods to him, a little but the school did an amazing job. He does know when to not bother me. LOL!!

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:21 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I told my son about periods, but it our house no subject is taboo at the dinner table or any other time...and any question asked deserves an immediate answer...we have some cool discussions.
    Anonymous

• I told my son without making a big deal about it. The kid isn't blind, he sees the pads and stuff in the house, he asked what it was for, and I told him. He didn't make a big deal about it, because I didn't.
    3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 8:13 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I will go over all of that the same time I go over his body and puberty. It is important for a child who is becoming more adult to know how EVERYTHING works. After all-sex takes to. Wouldn't you rather your child be fully informed BY YOU before being misled?
    Anonymous

• I explained EVERYTHING about EVERYTHING to my son at age 11, before he had school sex ed. I went into way more detail and medical and emotional points than the school will ever cover. I would give the same talk to girl or boy. Although each is given from their gender standpoint. Boys will know about every aspect of girl and boy puberty and sex and functions. Same for girls., they will know about girl and boys puberty, sex and functions. It helps to be prepared in knowing what going on and how to protect them both. My son learned about changes he will go through, why people have sex, oral sex, positions, birth control, why he should wait. EVERYTHING!
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:05 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I have 3 boys and i have had that talk with my two older boys.My youngest is not ready yet,he is only going on 8.But i feel it is important that they know how a woman gets pregnant.I told them about everything.I explained how the egg travels down the fallopian tubes to the uterus and then there is a lining that forms in the uterine walls to prepare for a possible fertilized egg.And if that doesn't happen then that lining and the egg them comes out in the form of a period.I also explained the emotional impacts that takes on a woman,i also explained the normal for most women every 28 day cycle.Nothing was off bounds.My two older kids are going on 12 and 11 and i think they need to know that.They need to know the risks of how a baby is produced.
    staceysgorbach

Answer by staceysgorbach at 1:01 AM on Apr. 20, 2010