recipe question

I have a recipe that calls for ½ cup of Buttermilk... I've never baked with buttermilk... can I substitute this with something else, like, say, milk??? TIA

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:32 PM on Apr. 19, 2010 in Food & Drink

• probably, depending on the recipe. but use whole milk
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 5:34 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• To make pretend buttermilk, add 1-3/4 tablespoons of cream of tartar to a cup of milk, or add a tablespoon of lemon juice or white vinegar to a cup of milk and let it stand for 5 to 10 minutes. In many baking recipes, you can also just use plain yogurt or sour cream instead of buttermilk.
    EternalDreams

Answer by EternalDreams at 5:35 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• milk mixed with vinegar...I believe it's like 1 cup milk to 1 TBS vinegar...but you'll have to google it just in case!
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 5:35 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• yes you can. You can add lemon juice to milk to make buttermilk but plain milk will do just as well.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 5:37 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Put 1/2 tsp of lemon juice in your measuring cup and fill to the 1/2 c. line with milk.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 6:11 PM on Apr. 19, 2010