How can I get my dd (6 yrs.) to want to write?

I mean she writes but her writing is horrible I know she can do better. I had printed out a sheet of paper with days of the week months of the year all our names in our familyI mean stuff she already knows the sounds to but to get her to write she is being difficult she cries and says she doesn't want to or her hand hurts or whatever how can I stop the drama with her she'll listen to dad but he works nights and when he is gone that is when she acts up I don't want to whip her butt over this but she getting on my last nerve...ugh!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:36 PM on Apr. 19, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• have you just practiced the letters alone? start with tracing, then a few on her own? then work on simple 3 letter words. that is how my son's class is doing it.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 5:53 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Why push her? The more you push the more she'll hate it and not want to do it. She's a bit young for it to be a big deal.
    Anonymous

• ummmm she is 6 lol. seriously I know this seems huge to you at this moment but what will happen is natural consequences. meaning at some point 1. the teacher will start to get on her, and that will motivate her more than mom. and 2. she herself will start to be "girly" and want to write better- its a girl thing that happens to most of us. at 6 yrs old I would NOT force this or worry about it. I mean seriously she is just learning.the more you trun the screws, the more she will reject it, giver some space and time to mature.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 5:45 PM on Apr. 19, 2010