any brilliant ideas on battling eczema on an infant's face?

my daughter (7.5 months) has a bad spot on her cheek that we have been treating with hydrocortisone one percent and aquafor . I hate using hydrocortisone on her face, but I don't know what else works. we bathe her in cetaphil. she rubs her face at night and makes it worse. if we put gloves on her, she pulls them off. does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

shandyeddie

Asked by shandyeddie at 5:50 PM on Apr. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• cut out dairy
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 5:53 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I always just used the aquaphor. Put it on immediately after the bath (pat cheeks dry first) then apply liberally. Then do it regularly through out the course of the day as well, even if it still looks like there is lotion on it. Don't rub it in, just leave it on the surface to absorb over time.

Good luck!

Oh, I think you can also get oatmeal bath packets and add water until it has sort of a paste/mud consistency and apply that to her cheeks for some soothing relief.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 5:54 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• calendula soap

4. CALENDULA - http://www.mothernature.com -This flowering plant (Calendula officinalis) has been used for centuries for ailments ranging from scorpion bites to cancer. It was once even a common staple in foods. The most recent application, however, usually involves skin ailments and irritations including atopic eczema. Laboratory tests support calendula's healing benefits. The anti-inflammatory also claims antiviral properties. Calendula is available as a cream and salve and has no known side effects.

Anonymous

• I use aveeno soaps and lotions for my kids.
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 5:56 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• My daughter had it SO bad as an infant. We had to use the cortisone cream, and elidel and Eucerin. She would wake me up in the middle of the night crying and I'd go in to her room and she'd have blood all over her hands and clothes and bed sheets! It was on her cheeks and REALLY bad behind her ears. I would just hold her and cry with her. She WOULD NOT keep the socks on her hands. It's hard to keep up with, and it takes alot of work to get it under control, and even once you do, you have to keep it up or it'll come back quick. Good luck...I've been there!
    TimandMely4ever

Answer by TimandMely4ever at 5:59 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• They have baby eczema cream you can but @ walmart or any drug store. It really helped my son. Good luck and just make sure that you continue to keep something on it at all times, even after its gone or it will come back.
    momluvsmiles

Answer by momluvsmiles at 6:08 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Well My grandma always swears by Olive Oil / grapeseed oil, salt Ocean water ( must be actual ocean water), and head and sholders. My entire family has eczama so i hope she would know. the ocean water only works if the child is old enough to play at the beach or hold it breath while dipping under the water. if you use haed and sholders be very careful around the eyes, t- gel works great too but also be careful not to get it in the eyes.
    quila_sunrise

Answer by quila_sunrise at 7:12 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Talk to the doctor about it. It can be from food allergies. My 18 mo grandson has eczema and is allergic to peanuts, eggs, wheat, beef, chicken, and ham. Not milk. He is breastfed and his mother eats little milk so that is why he may not have the milk allergies. His mother loves meat, peanut butter, and bread. She was feeding him a lot of eggs to try to get him to gain weight. I didn't know they were doing this until after the allergy tests.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:16 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• my baby had that and her PEDI. told me to use Eucerin went away within a few days
    lilangel_4206

Answer by lilangel_4206 at 1:27 AM on Apr. 20, 2010