my german shepherd....

i have a very big german shepherd and a lot of construction going on next door.my dog is getting very nervous because of all the activity going on all day. the workers the trucks....he is BARKING at everything....i emphisize barking because it is one of THOSE barks.... like this is my territory.... i dont know what to do but i have to do something before he does first. i dont want to loose my dog and i dont want any one to get hurt either. he has never been like this

cleo1977

Asked by cleo1977 at 5:52 PM on Apr. 19, 2010 in Pets

• I also have a very big German Shephard and she does the SAME thing. She actually got away from my daughter one evening and went after the FedEx man. I was lucky that I got there before she "did" anything. We have construction going on around us too (we live in a very new subdivision), and she has a really hard time with it. I just try to talk calmly to her and settle her down...we also have a watch her really close and make sure she stays with us. It's hard, but she's my security when hubby travels.
    TimandMely4ever

Answer by TimandMely4ever at 5:55 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• can you bring him inside? or maybe take him to the park for a while if he is friendly with other dogs. i would just try removing him from the situation for a while and giving him time to calm down a little.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 5:56 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• unfortunantly, this is the breed. He is doing his job, protecting you and your family. anything you do will prolly confuse the heck out of him. Maybe some others have some ideas. good luck
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 5:56 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Is he indoors? If he is I would let him bark, he probably feels like he's doing his job letting him know he's there and protecting his territory.If you take him out to go to the bathroom or for a walk make sure he's on a lead and he should be fine. If he's an outside dog maybe you should bring him in and let him relax for a little bit.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 6:01 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I don't have an answer for you, but i have a german shep too..and he does the same thing. We even tried a bark collar, didn't even phase him. It had an automatic timer type of thing (so it wouldn't continuously zap him) and he would bark as much as he could as fast as he could so it would time the collar out. Try walking him as much as possible, a tired dog shouldn't bark as much. GOod luck!
    BooBearsMomma

Answer by BooBearsMomma at 6:08 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• He's just doing his job protecting his master. I had one growing up and the most we could do was put her on a long chain.
    alexa_n_mommy

Answer by alexa_n_mommy at 8:35 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• This probably won't help with the barking but it should help with the anxiety. Try giving him Rescue remedy. that might help take the edge off if he really is anxious

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 10:47 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Your dog is doing his job--protecting his family and alerting you of funny business!

Make sure your dog gets TONS of exercise. Hard exercise. A tired dog is typically less anxious.

If possible, let your dog (on leash) meet and greet the workers.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 5:32 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Id get one of those dog vest where u could put bottles of water or some kind of weight n put that on him well u went for a walk
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 12:23 AM on Apr. 21, 2010