What do you do when your kids do this???

They get home from school they put there shoes n jackets away sit and watch tv or have a snack before or after the tv then I tell them ok kids time todo homework one starts to whine the other starts to cry I hate that how could I just get them to do what I want with no problems my dh is at work or else I wouldn't asking you ladies... Lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:01 PM on Apr. 19, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• NO TV when they get home. Homework first with a snack. That's what ours have always done, no questions asked. Then they don't have time to forget about their obligations. Then chores, and then they can have TV time or play outside, or in their rooms...
    That's the way it goes in our house.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 6:04 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• They can eat their snack, then they do their homework, do their chores, and only after all that is done, are they allowed to watch TV, play outside, or play on the computer. Homework is ALWAYS first.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 6:13 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• No TV until homework is done.
    kathynej7142007

Answer by kathynej7142007 at 6:41 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• No tv or playing outside or playing at all. Here they get off the bus come in and we go through their book bags. We start homework. SS because he is only in kindergarten tends to play while while I help SD with her homework. When I can I do both at the same time, but SS needs my full attention and SD does better when I am paying her more attention as well. They do like to have a snack sometimes during homework, but I try not to because it makes homework take longer.

good luck!
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 7:44 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Doing HW with out a break after school is TERRIBLE!!!! They NEED a break before they do their homework!!!. Have a set time to start it so it' consistent... one and an half hours after being home is a good time. You just turn off the TV at this point and say it can't come back on until HW is done. The wining will subside once they get into a routine and realize you mean business. You can always take away toys, ext for the wining, then make them earn it back!! But for the love of your kids give them an after school break!!!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:13 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• well mine get home from school they have a snack, tell me what they did in school. and then thewy would ask me about my day. I tell them a little bit about my day and then its homework time. then comes tv. & playtime. Its better for them to do their hom work almost as soon as they get home,from school. because the work they did is still fresh in their minds. otherwise they forget what they learned and you have to teach it to them all over again. and homework will take twice as long.that way.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 8:40 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• My kids do their homework as soon as they get home from school. They do get a snack while doing it. I know some people think this is cruel but when we tried to let them have a break then it was a battle to get homework done. Now they come in get their snack then sit down at the table and do their homework, It's done quite quickly and then it's out of the way and it's time for some fun.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 12:19 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• We don't have the "no TV or playing" until after homework is done rule in our house. First of all, it'd never work with the timing of Scouts and sports. However, we *DO* have a schedule and expectations. My 2nd grader and kindergartner get downtime after school unless we're running out the door for an activity they've chosen to participate in during the school year. When they come home we look at our schedule and set a time for homework they and I can agree upon. It might be "one TV show" or it might be "an hour outside" or it could, depending on their work load and the day "after dinner." I adjust the timing of their suggestion if I think the work load requires more time than they give it. When we get close to the agreed upon time, I give them a 10 minute, 5 min & 1 min warning. If they fight about it, they know they lose their free-time after school the following day until homework is done.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 12:22 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• They just spent ALL DAY doing school work and you want them to be thrilled to do it again when they get home? Why can't they play and be kids and do it after dinner like other kids do?
    Anonymous

• I totally agree with giving them a break after school! My son does his about an hour after he gets home from school..
    randilinn

Answer by randilinn at 6:40 PM on Apr. 20, 2010