high amount of blood in the urine of my 5yr old. Has anyone had problems with this?

My daughter is 5. This will be her 5th kidney infection this year. The first three times we were sent home with antibiotics. the 4th time we were sent to a urologist but by the time we got in to see him there were no signs of blood. The antibiotics had treated it. So its been about 2 months since the last infection. Went back today because I noticed the odor of her pee. She complains of her tummy hurting, very fatigue, and the last infection (which I didn't catch in time) had turned into a very high fever. Now we are being sent back to the urologist. Im just worried that her kidney's could be failing and Im worried. Any advice?

ellegrl

Asked by ellegrl at 6:30 PM on Apr. 19, 2010 in Health

• I found this online.
    Studies in the United States, and other parts of the world, have examined large numbers of children and have found that hematuria, the medical term for blood in the urine, is a relatively common finding.

In fact, 2 to 5 percent of school age children had tiny amounts of blood in their urine at some point in time during every day. About 1 percent of school-aged children continue to have blood in their urine when it is repeatedly tested.

While this might seem scary, most causes of hematuria are harmless. Only a very few children who continued to have hematuria had serious kidney problems. The vast majority remained perfectly healthy and the blood disappeared after a number of years.

Usually the blood cannot be seen with the naked eye and can only be detected in the laboratory using a special urine dipstick that measures blood, protein, sugar, ketones, and products from bacterial infection.

bookworm65

Answer by bookworm65 at 6:42 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• (cont.)Most of the time blood in the urine causes no pain to your child. Even when blood is visible to the naked eye, it is very rarely a lot of blood, so you don’t have to worry about your child losing too much blood. Here is the link so you can read the rest of the article:  http://www.dukehealth.org/health_library/advice_from_doctors/your_childs_health/yourchildshealthhematuria

bookworm65

Answer by bookworm65 at 6:43 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I will pray for her!!! Hope everything is ok!
    Navywifey2007

Answer by Navywifey2007 at 1:26 AM on Apr. 20, 2010