Breastfeeding to bottlefeeding...

My baby now 7 weeks old. 2 weeks ago I tried the bottle with breastmilk and she did fine and then after 3 days she wouldn't even think of taking it. We keep trying but she just cries for so long and I don't want her to become dehydrated so I give her the breast - she has screamed so much she just falls asleep for at least 2 hours. I feel horrible I need to transition her but I need to go back to school to help with finances. I have tried playtex ventaire wide and standard, tommie tippee bottle, and the nuk bottle. My baby also has bad reflux if that helps anything. I have tried feeding her with the bottle and my husband has also tried many times. I have also tried the enfamil nutrimagen because the reflux gets so bad with milk, but I only tried this after trying her with the bottle with breastmilk. Please help me to get her onto the bottle - I need advice.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:42 PM on Apr. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• try holding her against your skin when you feed her. sometimes that helps.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 6:44 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Wrap her in a t-shirt that you have slept in.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:46 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• It's not what's in the bottle, first of all, it's that it's not you. I, luckily didn't have an issue with it, but from what I read, keep having your hubby try it b/c he smells different. When he does, have him be barechested and snuggle her. That's supposed to help. Also, don't be afraid she's going to starve or dehydrate. She, like all human beings, has survival instincts, she won't let it happen. If she misses one feeding, she's not going to be any worse off. My son had the reflux. What helped ease my mind with the spitting up was I read that even though it looks like the baby is spitting up a lot of milk, it's mixed with a lot of saliva and isn't as much as you'd think. You'll know if baby is starving. Good Luck.
    brookebella

Answer by brookebella at 6:49 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Babies don't need to drink from a bottle. She can be fed your milk by finger feeder, cup, spoon, or other creative way the caretaker comes up with. If you aren't gone long she may wait for you to come home.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:54 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• If YOU are anywhere in the vicinity, that;'s going to be the problem. Hand baby to caregiver, LEAVE. Mom shouldn't waste her time trying toget baby to take a bottle. Baby WILL eat when hungry but she knows you've got the good stuff right there.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:25 AM on Apr. 20, 2010