How does a Kindle work, how much does it cost and is it worth the money?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:46 PM on Apr. 19, 2010 in Entertainment

• I have no idea what a "kindle" is.
    TimandMely4ever

Answer by TimandMely4ever at 7:13 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I don't have any first hand knowledge, but I do have a friend who reads ALOT. and she just loves it and says is was worh every penny.
    Anonymous

• It seems pricey to me, and I've heard that the price of e-books will be going up 50%, so keep that in mind if you are thinking of getting one. Plus I love the feel of a book in my hands, turning the pages, the whole tactile experience of it.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 8:55 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I was thinking about getting a Kindle. I believe the Kindle itself is upwards of 200+ dollars, Each book is 9.99 and up. I would like to get one because I read all the time and travel a lot but with them thinking of making a new version soon I will wait. As far as I know it works but going to the online store on your kindle, selecting a book and then it downloads instantly to it. www.amazon.com/Kindle
    Alexsmom04

Answer by Alexsmom04 at 10:05 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I use my iPod touch (You can find the app on your iPhone too) and downloaded the Kindle App and the Barnes and Noble App for free. It now works the exact same as the Kindle, just smaller. My hubby got on it and ordered me "The Art of Racing in the Rain". I love it!
    KATMommie158

Answer by KATMommie158 at 10:56 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Wireless-Reading-Display-Generation/dp/B0015T963C Information on the Kindle.
    PrdMilWife

Answer by PrdMilWife at 11:29 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I recommend the Ipad. It is has many cool features...should look into all e-book types though. E-books are generally cheaper. For example I bought my ECN book that was orginally 60.00 (paper book) for only 20.00(e-book).
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 12:27 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I'm an avid reader and have been looking into the kindle for a while. I have several friends who have them and love them. New releases are $9.99 (these same books would be $25 or more if purchased in a store), Classics are free. Books that have been out for a while and are no longer classified as new releases are much cheaper, many even cheaper than if purchased in paperback form. Some are even available for as low as 99 cents. I live in a very rural area and the closest book store is over an hour away. The local library tries very hard, but is very limited. I think the kindle is a great option for me and am planning on getting one soon. The edition currently availab;e also has the text to speech function which allows you to "play" the book as an audio book. The current price of a kindle is $260.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:31 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• continued - I forgot to add, when you download a book, it comes straight to your kindle. You don't have to connect to your computer. If you know others who have a kindle, you can all sign up for the same account and share books between your kindles.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• my co-worker got one for his birthday. i want one. i am having kindle jealousy issues lol. (and i work at a bookstore, so i probably shouldn't want one lol. but even my manager saw it and tried to steal it lol)
    PROS: they are very cute. thin, light, about the same dimensions as a HC book club edition of a book, but 1/8 of the thickness. they are really cool in that they have their own internet so you can download books from anywhere at anytime, without having to plug it in to your computer. also, you can subscribe to newspapers and some magazines on it and have them automatically downloaded to your kindle each time a new one comes out. they have a lot of brand-new titles available for about the same price as a paperback (versus the $30 price of buying the HC in store). also they have "discount" books as low as .99 cents.
    CONS: it has no backlight, so you can't read it in dark places without buying a special reading lamp. TBC.
    Angelgirl25

Answer by Angelgirl25 at 1:10 AM on Apr. 20, 2010