when can you give your baby juice?

when did u start giving your baby juice? my son is 2 & 1/2 months old. he drinks formula and water:)

i remember my mom giving my little sisters watered down apple juice, but i dont remember how old they were.

so when is it ok to start giving your baby juice?

momma_2b_2010

Asked by momma_2b_2010 at 6:50 PM on Apr. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I didn't give my kids juice until they were like a year and a half or something, but thats because of the sugar in it and it can cause cavities as well. thats my personal choice though, but i would wait until after a year.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 6:52 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• and I water it down as well and limit the amount of juice they get in a day
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 6:53 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• with my 3 boys i didnt give them watered down juice or any juice until around 5 or 6 months. But that is just me.
    Anonymous

• Some time after 6 months, although I think it was later. You're not supposed to give a baby water before 6 months either. Milk is the only thing baby needs. Water will make baby feel full, but baby isn't getting any nutrients. It could lead to developmental problems.
    brookebella

Answer by brookebella at 6:53 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I think drs usually say 6 months. My son didn't get any until he was around 9-10 months though, watered down of course.

Answer by missanc at 6:57 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• i was told to give him water by his doctor, after he eats. because when i stopped breastfeeding and switched to formula he got really constipated, and the water helps him go.
    momma_2b_2010

Answer by momma_2b_2010 at 6:58 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• my babys doctor told me it was ok to give her prune juice watered down at 3 1/2 months bc she has a severe case of constipation, and orange juice watered down at 5 months
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 7:10 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Babies shouldn't have juice until after they start solids after 4 months for ff babies. Babies that aren't eating solids yet don't need water, it can hurt them. The most juice a baby, toddler or young child should have a day is 4 oz. The AAP is concerned about kids drinking juice for many reasons including obesity. Apple juice isn't a good juice for babies, it's hard on the digestive system. A good first juice is white grape.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:51 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• i wouldn't even start the child on juice, water is plenty and if you start giving baby juice they might not take the water.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 8:08 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• we just do juice for a treat. my youngest are 2, and they still get theirs diluted. i don't think i gave anyone any juice before they were one. it is high in sugar and low in fiber. we just do breast milk and water that first year...water we only do after 6 months or so. i don't want them to fill up on water, and then miss a meal b/c of it.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:19 PM on Apr. 19, 2010