Heartburn anyone?

I have been getting heartburn really bad for the last couple of weeks. I am 7 and a half months now. Is there anyway to get rid of it or to prevent it? I found out the hard way that chips and salsa is not the way to go at 10pm. I wake up with it now though, before I eat anything. Help!

Katina23

Asked by Katina23 at 6:58 PM on Apr. 19, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Tums is a great place to start. Also, milk is a good thing to drink when you have heartburn - it's a base and will counteract the acid in your tummy. I have horrible heartburn with pregnancy, to the point that I end up throwing up whether I've eaten or not. During my 4th pregnancy I went through 4 different medications, and nexium is the only thing that helped even a little. I'm 27 weeks into my 5th pregnancy and on nexium again - it makes a world of difference for me! I still throw up a couple of times/week, but it's so much better!

Answer by missanc at 7:05 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• sometimes it is just inevitable. there are links now between heartburn and your baby being born with hair though! lol
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 7:19 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• ahhh...heartburn...ive dealt with it this entire pregnancy. I am almost 39 weeks now and only have 3 more days to deal with it!!! i tried tums with no luck, mylanta and finally my OB prescription for 150mg zantac....it works okay, but i still take mylanta sometimes too.
    Anonymous

• I drank milk...LOTS of it...it did help alot.
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 8:07 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• i find the best thing is to remain upright after eating. i get mine the worst when i lay down sooner than 2 hours after eating. also, eating several small meals is helpful.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:16 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Obviously try not to eat before lying down. I had TERRIBLE heartburn with my son, and still have issues with it 12 years later! Stay away from heavy, fried, spicy foods. I agree with drinking milk, it does help alot. Feel better soon!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 10:35 PM on Apr. 19, 2010