experience with natural childbirth

This will be my first child and I'm due in June. I'm really hoping to be able to have a natural childbirth (no drugs) and start breastfeeding shortly after delivery. Anyone out there that can offer advice on getting through the pain, or insight on what to expect?

jaxsonsmomtracy

Asked by jaxsonsmomtracy at 7:00 PM on Apr. 19, 2010 in Pregnancy

• 1) Mother nature is tough but not cruel. There are no sudden pains. Labor pains ease in, peak, and then ease out. It's like an ocean wave. Until you hit transition at which point you could become disoriented by the pain, but with a good partner you should be able to overcome it. The most important thing at this stage is solid support. Your partner has to know when to talk, when to shut up, and when to be still as a statue.

2) Study up and be prepared for any out come. Just because you are planning on a natural birth doesn't mean you don't need to know the risks and benefits to drugs and interventions. Know your stuff - even if you are planing an intervention free experience.

3) Bring in a note with you to the hospital that says "Please do not offer me any drugs. I know what is available and I will ask you if I decide that is what is right. Thank you." Ask the nurse to put it in your chart so that everyone sees it.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:08 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• It HURTS!!!! Take the drugs!!!! Just kidding......see if your hospital has the facility for a water birth.....the warm water is lovely....walk around a lot, sit up a lot, suck on lollipops, sip juice, don't fight the pain, go with it.....and be gentle with yourself, if it turns out to be a brutal labor, you aren't a failure to choose drugs....best wishes!
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 7:12 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I had two natural childbirth and I highly recommend lamaze classes specially for a first one. It can be a frighting thing when you first go through it, and the classes gave me the knowledge of how to deal with the pain of contractions through a focal point and breathing techniques. I was able to control my reaction to the pain, and not let it overwhelme me.
    Expect a journey of your life, you and you alone has to do this, so arming yourself with knowledge is a great thing!

Answer by older at 7:13 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• 1. Natural childbirth (no drugs) is possible, I did it.
    2. If for some reason it doesn't work out for you. Its ok. Ultimately the most important thing is you do what is best for you and your kid (this also means your comfort level as well). Birth should be joyous.
    3. Hire a doula if at all possible. A doula's level of experience with child birth is a real comfort and can really help you to fight the medical establishment to get the borth you want. (Also she should know when to stop fighting).
    4. Do your research on your doctor, midwife and delivering hospital. If they are all about the epidural, and interventions they might not be the right fit for you.
    5. Otherwise, just relax. Surround yourself with comfort. If it makes you happy do it don't worry about what other think or want. For once in your life its all about you. Its ok to be selfish.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 7:16 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• My advice is to not believe what you see on TV and stuff. That's all bull. Go into labor knowing what you want, but acknowledge that you can change your mind later. Keep telling yourself that it's not so bad (and it really isn't, IMO) and that you're doing great and don't need drugs. Think about your baby and holding him/her for the first time. You can do it. Women have done it since the dawn of time. You'll be just fine and so will your baby. Read all you can, talk to anyone you can, find a midwife instead of an OB/GYN if you can, etc. Watch some birth videos on youtube. Be prepared and believe in yourself.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 8:13 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• i imagined each contraction like a wave, they roll in, peak and roll out. i think just knowing that any pain would end with the delivery was enough for me. i also read that birthing takes place in your brain stem your "old brain" the part that does not require thought. so, let the birth happen, don't think or dwell on the sensations, just let the contractions roll in and roll out, your body knows what to do. allow yourself to go into your labor zone.
    good luck with your birth!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:14 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Take a preparation for childbirth class (along with newborn care, infant first aid and CPR, breastfeeding, and any other classes you can find.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:28 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Get informed about the normal process, educate yourself about options for coping, get supported (your partner, doula, midwife = important team!).
    Are you taking any classes, reading books, watching videos?
    Message me for loads of info if you'd like it.
    :-)

I had 2 awesome waterbirths, myself, and I love to help others through. :-D
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:35 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Educate yourself on the subject so you know what to expect then just be stubborn about it. By stubborn I just mean put it in your head that you can do this and don't look back.
    Ashes0813

Answer by Ashes0813 at 2:13 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I did it 2x the first time I just relied on my husband and an on call doula at my birth center. It was an ok expierence over all it was very hard cause I didn't know anything about what was going on and I didn't have my own plans in place. The 2nd time I went an entirely different route. We had a home birth, I hired 2 doulas that I knew and loved personally, and I took charge of my pregnancy and labor. I read ina mays guide to childbirth and flowed with my own process. My husband was also a ,ajor support he could literally teach a class of natural birth for husbands. He's amazing and I had an amazing birth. I'm 10 weeks along again and we will be taking the same route this time too.
    Jade812

Answer by Jade812 at 10:05 AM on Apr. 20, 2010