pretzels

Does anyone have a pretzel recipe that is easy to follow and taste divine? I also need one that doesn't require a mixer because I don't have one. My kids are craving these pretzels they eat at sams club with the sugar and cinnamon sprinkled all over the top. Also I put my yeast in the freezer if I need to use it should I let it come to room temperature first?

MarGeee

Asked by MarGeee at 8:20 PM on Apr. 19, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I love this recipe from Sweet Savvy. HONEY PRETZELS

1 1/2 cups whole milk
    1 teaspoon vegetable oil
    1 package active dry yeast
    2 tablespoons honey
    4 cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon natural salt
    1 large egg
    coarse grind natural salt

In a small saucepan, heat the milk over medium-low heat until warm, about 110 degrees F if you have an instant-read thermometer. Remove from the heat.
    Mix the oil with the yeast and honey in a large mixing bowl.
    Slowly pour in the warm milk and stir with a large wooden spoon or rubber spatula until the yeast and honey are dissolved. Let the mixture rest until slightly thickened and foamy, about 5 minutes (mine did not get thick or foamy, but it worked fine anyway).
    Mix the flour and the salt and add to the yeast mixture. At first stir with a large wooden spoon but you'll have to finish it off with your very clean hands.
    cont

Answer by rkoloms at 9:08 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Knead the dough until smooth on an unfloured work surface (about 3 to 5 minutes) or mix the dough in a standing electric mixer fitted with a dough hook.
    Oil a large mixing bowl with more vegetable oil (a couple tablespoons), place the dough in the bowl, and turn to coat lightly with the oil.
    Cover with plastic wrap and let stand in a warm, draft-free place and let rise until doubled in size, about 2 hours.
    Put the oven rack in the center position and preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
    Beat the egg in a small mixing bowl and set aside.
    Remove the dough from the bowl and break into four pieces for jumbo pretzels, or into eight pieces for smaller pretzels.
    Roll each piece between your hands and the surface to form a long, thin roll, about the diameter of a garden hose.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 9:09 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Bring the ends around to make a circle, cross the ends (leaving some excess), then give the dough a twist at the cross point and bring the ends over to meet the side of the circle. Press down on the ends to seal. Or, bend the dough in the middle and twist it to make a long pretzel "braid."
    Place the pretzels on a large ungreased baking sheet.
    With a pastry brush, paint each pretzel with the beaten egg and sprinkle generously with the natural salt. If the salt seems too coarse to you, put about 2 tablespoons salt on a cutting board and crush it with the bottom of a heavy pan. You want chunky salt, not a fine grind..
    Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes.
    Remove from the oven and transfer the pretzels to wire racks to cool.
    Serve warm or at room temperature with butter or mustard.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:10 PM on Apr. 19, 2010