How often do you clean house? Just wondering. I have an 19th month old a 7 year old stepson and one on the way.

I stay at home during the week with the kids and I work on the weekends. For some reason we just can't seem to keep our house clean! I mean someone is always making a mess! Just wondering how often you clean your house and if you make school age kids help out or do you clean up after them to?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:59 PM on Apr. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• Everyday i'm picking up toys, doing dishes, vacuming, making beds and doing laundry. Once a week I do everything else. Our house isn't perfect but it's not dirty or out of control....so you have to be choosy...you could have a perfect house if you were ignoring your kids all day and cleaning lol....or you could be enjoying your kids and have a decent house. You choose! :)
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 9:02 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I clean once a week, but we pick up daily. The kitchen is also cleaned daily and twice on the weekends. Yes, my kids help and clean their room. We also do laundry once a week too. We keep a neat house and everyone picks up after themselves so it makes it easier for the house to "look" cleaner. The toilets, floors, dusting etc is done on one of my days off.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:02 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I clean most everyday I only have a 5yr. old & it still seems to always be reaccuring effort so it doesnt become a big mess.
    I do wish it would stay done longer!
    Anonymous

• Delegate chores.... I know the 19 month old can't do much but you can teach him/her to pick up toys... The 7 yr old can have a few jobs to do, and your Hubby can too. Then make certain jobs for yourself and then you won't have to do it all. You need help and they should all pitch in. Like I tell our boys, if they don't do their part then our family doesn't work and then it's chaos...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:03 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• all day every day. it never ends
    hisblueeyes

Answer by hisblueeyes at 9:25 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• i usually do a "good" clean in one room per day, then i have daily stuff. i unload the dishwasher each morning so i can put dirty dishes in it as the day goes on. then i start it before bed. we clean up before naptime and bedtime. i sweep at least once daily, mop two or three times a week. i run laundry as soon as i have a full load, which means i generally only have to do one load at a time, instead of 2 or 3. it's just easier for me to keep up with stuff as it comes up, rather than trying to do everything at once on the weekends.
    nemiller

Answer by nemiller at 10:14 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Everyday all day long. My house never stays clean.
    Anonymous

• Because of his big brother's, my 19 month old will take laundry to the laundry room whether I want him to or not! Sometimes it's even clothes I JUST put on him! I clean everyday, most of the time anymore (my 19 month old is a climber!!) my kitchen comes last and I don't have a dishwasher so I just wait till night to do them, or first thing in the morning when the kids are eating breakfast. I have a 7 year old step son as well and then my own five year old boy and they have chores, they pick up the toys and they take laundry to the laundry room, put their own clothes away and clean their room.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 12:07 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I have 5 kids, 13, 12, 9, 7, and 22 months. The older 4 are expected to clean up after themselves, toys when they're done playing, plates, cups, and other things off the table after meals, clean their rooms, clothes off the bathroom floor after a shower, etc. The 22 months old is by far the worst, he can wreck a room in minutes. I clean the main areas of the house daily (living room, dining room, kitchen) and the rest weekly. Ive found a good soultion to the messes my youngest makes is to only allow a limited amount of toys out of his room at a time.

I would teach your older 2 to clean as they go after themselves, in addition to their daily chores...it really does cut down on the messes. I have a bucket in my room, anything that gets left out goes into the bucket with a sticker and the date and stays gone for 2 weeks...incentive to pick up their things.
    Tarinia

Answer by Tarinia at 12:15 AM on Apr. 20, 2010