How can I get rid of grass and weeds growing in my garden?

I am wanting to start my garden but it has been taken over by weeds and grass. I don't want to use chemicals on it but it is literally too hard to pull each one out on its own...plus the roots aren't coming up (even soaked with water) so they are going to come right back or steal away from the plants. Any ideas?

dbodani

Asked by dbodani at 9:16 PM on Apr. 19, 2010 in Home & Garden

• have you tried a rototiller? you could turn the dirt with a shovel. you may have to just pull those weeds out by hand if they come up again after you till the soil. you could lay down grass clippings around the plants once they come up, and this might inhibit weed growth.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:21 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Straight white vinegar

Answer by rkoloms at 9:33 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• We tilled ours up about 4 times in a row. Its solid dirt and any grass or weeds got broken up and are dead now. I know I'll still have to weed all summer while the garden is growing, but thats not a big deal if I stay on it.
    auntietotty

Answer by auntietotty at 9:51 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I laid down some extra fabric that I had in between the plants and put bricks on top of the fabric. It worked ok and cut out the weeds in between the p lants. I also laid used picket fence boards in the rows where I would walk in between the plants. As far as the weeds right next to your plants, you can use a tool. Its long and has a point at the end. You can try to use the tool as closely as you can to the weeds roots without injuring the plants roots.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 10:22 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• can you use the white vinegar for lawn weeds, or will it kill the grass?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:25 PM on Apr. 20, 2010