How to tell my 2 1/2 year old her doggy has passed?

Well tomorrow I have to put my dog down and see my DD loves him. He's 13 and has lost all ablity to move all but his head and hasn't had a scrp of food to eat I even got him like real hambuger and stuff to get him to eat he just won't eat so I'm going to put him down but what do I tell my DD? I do not believe in heaven(I am a Wiccan) but I do believe in reancarnation so any thoughts?(If my spelling is off tonight please excuse me I am quite upset)

delilahsmom1177

Asked by delilahsmom1177 at 9:21 PM on Apr. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• :(
    aww, thats so sad. Tell her that her doggy is very sick.SInce you belive in reincarnation maybe you can have him cremated and take the ashes and bury them along with a new planting of a tree or bush or something that will continue to grow. ANd try to explain to her that her doggy will live on because of that.
    Death is so hard to explain, its even hard for some adults to understand.
    I'm sorry for your loss.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:42 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I'd get another dog bc she can't understand the concept of death
    Anonymous

• Anon 9:43 I have 3 other dogs already so it would really matter. Thank you though, kimberlyinberea Great ideas i think i might do that. I'm worried he won't make it through the night the poor guy can't even hold down water now. I'm sooo sad I wish I could make him better he is like the best dog ever!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 10:01 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Just tell her the doggy is living somewhere else now. And buy a new dog. She wont ask too many questions with a dog around. If you let her pick it out even shell be more excited and distracted. Tell her the doggy will miss her but now you have a new dog. She is young so she may not need too many explanations. GL
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 10:03 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Well ladies thank you. Our Petchee passed away on his own early this morning. DD is still sleeping and I am waiting for my handy man to come help me put him in the van to bring him to get creamated. I asked my cousin what she told her DD when their dog passed. Kaylee was about 2 1/2 so what they said may work for Delilah. I know what I will say if she asks. I'm going to tell her that her Pa(my grandpa) and her grandma Rose( her daddys grandma) wanted a doggy and they picked Petchee. I think that may do the trick.I'm just very upset but it'll be ok he was old and sick now he's not in pain out somewhere running and not having a care in the world.
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 8:44 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• She is juts not going to be old enough to grasp death or reincarnation at this time. I would just tell her that ______had to go away and that you both miss him. She will eventually stop asking about him. I am so sorry for your loss.
    Anonymous

• I'm so sorry!! I know it's hard... and it's even harder for a 2.5 yo to grasp this. We had a snake for 8 years and suddenly couldn't move or drink water so she passed in DH's hands a few hours after we discovered she was sick. DD asked what happened and we told her Katana was too sick to live, that we can't have Katana anymore. My dd still asks for Tana 6 months later and I have to tell her again that Katana was very sick and isn't coming back. It's a weekly thing still, and she cries everytime I tell her. It sure seems like a long process and DH can't handle when she asks (his dad passed and he felt closer through Katana).
    I hope you're dd understood... and again, I'm sorry for you're loss!!!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 1:24 PM on Apr. 20, 2010