Dogs & Babies

In January we purchased a Labrador and now we are expecting a baby in November. She is 6 months old and will be a little over a year when the baby is born. We didn't have any pets when our first was born (he's 4 now) and I'm nervous about having a puppy and a baby at the same time. She's fully house trained so that's not an issue. She's well mannered and plays really well with our 4 year old. She sheds horribly though. We're clean people I vacuum daily and she's not allowed on the furniture. I'm just worried about the shedding with a new baby. She's not allowed upstairs where the baby's room will be so there shouldn't be a big problem with dog hair in the baby's room. I'm just worried about the dogs reaction to the new baby. Have any of you had dogs/puppies and brought home a new baby?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:24 PM on Apr. 19, 2010 in Pregnancy

• When my sister had her son a few years ago she was still living at home with my parents and I. We had 11 dogs at the time (along with about 40 other animals) All stayed in the house a majority of the time. The dogs adapted well and my nephew was able to grow up with lots of play mates.

It is actually medically proven that a child raised in a household with two or more pets is less likely to have allergies as an adult.
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 9:29 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• the dog may have jelousy issues at first so dont forget to love on her once the baby comes. i wouldnt worry too much about dog hair. unless the baby starts showing signs of having dog allergies. just be very leery of the dog around the baby. a baby can scare any dog, but you do have a very good family breed
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 9:33 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• yes. we just trained him to respect the babies space. it sounds like you have a good handle on your lab (ours is a lab too, and since then we've added another mutt to the family) and you'll just have to keep your sanity with juggling the attention they all need and stay consistent. good luck! :)
    juliness

Answer by juliness at 9:41 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• When I brought my daughter home we have cats and dogs and both adapted just fine in fact that cats would not let any males get around my daughter which I found very funny and laughed everytime a male would try to hold her the cat would growl at them until they put her down and then the caat would lay down beside her and make sure she was ok. Then we got a puppy and the puppy just loved her.
    Anonymous

• We have two dogs, both rescues. My pitt/boxer mix is 4 and my boxer is 3. My son is now 2, so they've grown up together. When we brought our son home from the hospital they were both interested in him, but that wore off quickly. He and my boxer are the best of friends. Our son will ride on him and pesters him often, and the dog is wonderful with him. My other dog is less interested in our son,but does well when he bugs her.
    If you have good energy then your animals will pick up on that. If your nervous they will pick up on that also. I think pets and kids are a great combination. Of course it's up to us to make sure everyone safe at all times.
    Julians_Momma

Answer by Julians_Momma at 9:00 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• As with anything with teeth you don't just trust them around a new baby. Having said that I think you made a good choice in a Lab as they tend to be kid friendly. We paid big bucks for a Golden Retriever for this very reason. I think you will be ok. Just keep things vacumed. Most dogs are very protective of babies.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:32 AM on Apr. 20, 2010