Telling your children about sex?

I have four boys, ages 8,7,5 and four months. When did you tell your boys, or children, about sex? How much did you tell them? Did you tell them where babies came from and how they are made? did you talk about safe sex? any info would be great, thanks!

mamajojo

Asked by mamajojo at 9:40 PM on Apr. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• My nephew is seven. My sister explained sex to him starting around the age of four when he first asked about babies. She started out just by saying it is how babies were made and that it was only for people that loved each other. She then left it up to him to ask questions. He now knows that men and women have different parts and that when you put them together it makes a baby. He knows about birth and that it is painful and messy. He also knows you do not practice making a baby unless you are in love and ready to take care of the baby forever.
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 9:46 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• it trickled out... buy 2/3 my son knew what a period was... when a friend had a baby he learned how they came out... the information should just trickle out.
    Anonymous

• We talk about sex, just like we would talk about any other subject in our house. If they ask a question, they get an answer, which usually leads to more questions. My 6 year old son, was 4 when he asked my hubby where babies come from. He calmly explained that men produce sperm, and women produce an egg, and when the two meet, they grow inside the woman's uterus and make a baby. My son then asked how the sperm goes from the man to the woman, to which my husband replies, a man puts his penis in a woman's vagina and ejaculates the sperm. To which my son replied, "Eww, gross" and hasn't asked about it since.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 12:14 AM on Apr. 20, 2010