Husband lost his job and now he's constantly yelling at the kids.

He was gone a lot before. Now that he's home he won't stop yelling at the kids. "GO AWAY!" "SHUT UP" "GO TO YOUR ROOM" "SHHHH!!" It seems everything they do or say pisses him off. I can't deal with this shit, he needs a new job NOW! How can I help the situation?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:44 PM on Apr. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think I would chew him up one side and down the other! I would explain that our house is was nice and peaceful before he lost his job and that you intend it to be close to the same if he is home. Explain to him that the kids are excited to see him and that they miss him and to take his bad attitude somewhere else if THAT is how he is going to act! If he didn't leave then I would take the kids to the park just to get them out of his hair. He is stewing about not having a job and he is taking it out on the wrong people. We have ALL been there, I would be a cheerleader, but he would need to get his head out of his ass when it come to his kids!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 12:14 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• How long ago did he loose his job? He has several things going on here, but the kids didn't cause him to loose his job. That being said, there should be some understanding about the feelings that come with such a thing. He shouldn't take it out on the kids, but he is probably dealing with some real feelings. Be patient and help him through this. It isn't easy, but you took him for better or worse, rich or poor........ stick by your man.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:47 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• He's under a lot of stress now. He's without a steady source of income. Be a little more supportive.

Talk to him about not taking out his frustrations on the kids. Everyone's routines are thrown off. You're not used to him being home. The kids aren't used to him being home. HE'S not used to being home. It's going to take a bit of adjusting.

As long as it takes him to find another job, you need to be his #1 support...be his little cheerleader. Ask him what YOU can do to help him.

Part of being a wife is being there for the good and the bad.
    Anonymous

• i would tell him that he is over reacting. i would tell him that you understand he is under a lot of stress and all that, but that the kids aren't doing anything wrong and that he needs to cool it. When my SO starts losing his patience I might let him get away with a little, but if he goes overboard I call him out on it. I dont think the kids should have their dad's frustrations taken out on them.

other than that...just encourage him that he will get a job. help him find ways to be useful and productive around the house. give him excuses to get out of the house. when you go to the store or run an errand take the kids with you (not every time because then you will be the one losing it...lol). make him do fun activities with the kids.....like play ball together, go to a movie together, have a picnic...whatever works for your family.

good luck!
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:50 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• No, I don't think it has anything to do with losing the job. He lost it week before last. But he's always yelled at the kids, he just used to work enough to be gone while they were awake before. I think its just that he doesn't want them interupting his television. He's a real father of the year if ya know what I mean. But its really hurting their feelings, especially our 2 year old. And that pisses me off a lot but I don't want to fight. Stress makes me have contractions..
    Anonymous

• I would wait till the kids are asleep & talk to him.. tell him how you feel he is overreacting to the kids, & he needs more patience.. he will be even more stressed now because he is out of work, so say it in a loving way. maybe also give him a honey do list to keep him busy when he is not looking for a job.. also give him at least 30 min alone a day.. just to relax.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 10:03 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Honey Do list. yeah Right.. might husband doesn't do anything around the house even if I ask him 30 times in 3 days.
    Anonymous

• if he wont take it the nice way and by you doing things to make it easier for him, i say you have to get tough with him. explain that you do not like the way he is treating the kids and that it upsets you. explain that in turn it isnt healthy for the baby for you to get this upset and that you hate confronting him because you dont want to start having contractions, but the way he is talking to and treating the kids is unacceptable.

i just wouldnt put up with it. eventually it will make you mad enough you will confront him. i am not confrontational, but i am with my SO. ha ha.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 11:02 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• His ears may be closed to you, but is there anyone older in the family, that he respects and is willing to help mentor him through this time?
    GMMOLLY

Answer by GMMOLLY at 11:46 AM on Apr. 20, 2010