How can you claim to be a Christian if you lie, cheat and steal?

No one is perfect...with the exception of our Lord, Jesus Christ. BUT...how can we lie (and teach our children to lie), cheat (on our spouses) and steal (money, illegal DVD & music copying and downloading) and still call ourselves Christians? I am in no way, shape or form perfect, but I DO try to do the right thing and teach our children the same...even if it means telling them the truth about friends and family members that don't always do what is right. What happened to ethics? When a person can lie and feel good about it and then teach their kids that it is ok??!! Even if you don't tell your kids to lie, cheat or steal....they learn by example. Am I the only one who feels that this is not the way to set an example, or to live your life as a Christian???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:48 PM on Apr. 19, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• duh... the answer is in the question.... they lie!
    Anonymous

• There is a difference between doing things that are wrong and teaching your child it is OK. I do things that are wrong but I teach my child that it is wrong. She knows when I screw up and do something wrong that it is wrong and I shouldn't have done it. Sometimes she even catches me doing something wrong and calls me out on it.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 9:52 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Wish others knew the same thing you ladies said!! It is so sad, especially when you have to try to teach them the right way to do things and they are "brainwashed" into thinking it's all okay....heartbreaking! Thanks for the input....
    Anonymous

• yes we are to try to live by example, sadly we will mess up because we are human.. so what I do is point out when I mess up to my kids & tell them how it effected me.. i also tell them GOD is the true example.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 9:56 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I'm not a Christian, but I have been working on myself to please Yahweh. He hates sin so I aim to please my creator. Blessings..
    Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 10:03 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Wouldn't it be nice if Christians behaved themselves.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:07 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• You answered your own question they are not perfect and are human. Though I don't lie or steal I would to protect my children or to take care of them if all else failed. Luckily I have never been in that situation, but I can admit what I would do.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 10:12 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• uh boy
    Anonymous

• I am a Christian. I have lied, I have never cheated or stolen tho. The short answer is this... we are human and none are perfect. We ALL fall short of the Glory of God. In the eyes of the Lord, one sin is just as bad as the next. There is no sliding scale or one worse than the other...
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 10:26 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• romans 3:23 for all have sinned & come short of the glory of GOD.. the only qualification you need to be saved is asking Jesus for forgiveness, ask him into your heart & repent of your sins.. he doesn't expect an immediate change, but we are eventually supposed to serve as examples to others.. he comes to us just as we are
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 10:29 PM on Apr. 19, 2010