Is 10 years enough?

Little Rock, AR, United States (AHN) - An Arkansas man who plotted to kill then-Sen. Barack Obama in October of 2008, along with dozens of blacks, was sentenced to a decade in prison Thursday, according to federal authorities.

Paul Schlesselman pleaded guilty to charges earlier this year and was sentenced Thursday in an Arkansas federal court.

Schlesselman confessed to plotting Obama’s assassination and planning to go on a killing spree. He had started collecting an arsenal of weapons to prepare for his murderous rampage.

According to reports, Schlesselman planned to commit a string of robberies, burglaries and murders that would have culminated with Obama’s murder.

Read more: http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7018420320?White%20Supremacist%20Sentenced%20In%20Plot%20To%20Kill%20Obama,%20Blacks#ixzz0lbOAeokH

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 10:06 PM on Apr. 19, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• id say he needs more than just jailtime. maybe a rubber room.
    Anonymous

• Sounds like a very light sentence to me as he had aspirations to become a professional killer who wasn't going to be satisfied with just murdering the President.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 10:58 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I would say a lethal injection. Sad that he will walk free again.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:02 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• He didn't actually kill anyone and he confessed...so legally 10 years is probably all he could get.
    Anonymous

• I think he should get his guns back.
    Anonymous

• IDK, he didn't get too far with his scheme, he confessed, no one was hurt. What are the odds he'll be out in 3 or 4 years for good behavior?? I think 10 yrs is OK, as long as he actually serves the 10 yrs., and hopefully gets some kind of therapy for his issues.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 1:09 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Ten years doesn't seem enough if you threaten to kill the president.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:30 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• If we could be punished for what we thought about doing, how many of us would be guilty of some high crime? We must be careful to punish only action and obvious intent, with intent being the lesser crime. If we cross the line into thought crimes, we allow the law to judge all of our thoughts, and that is a dangerous road to travel, ladies.

He did not actually harm anyone. He confessed to his crime. He is serving time. If he serves the full 10 years (which is unlikely) and receives therapy for his issues (also unlikely, though possible), perhaps he can be rehabilitated into society. At the very least, we can hope he will be in prison long enough for Obama to be safely voted out of office and return to private life.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 8:38 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Since some people who actually kill someone can get as little as 7-10 years, it seems fair. However, I would like to see murderers actually get longer sentences. Our justice system sucks.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:27 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I think that person needs to be in a mental institution That is a terrible thing. Even if he didnt carry it out. Obviously that person is unstable ans needs to be away from society. Not that I think he shouldnt be in jail. I do. I just hope after his sentence they put him in a mental institution.
    Sillybillymel

Answer by Sillybillymel at 9:35 AM on Apr. 20, 2010