Need help with daughter ASAP

My 35 month old daughter is all the sudden TERRIFIED of her room and I don't understand what is going on. We moved a little over a week ago into a much nicer apartment and her room has 2 nightlights, plenty of light comes in from the streetlights, and she watches tv till she falls asleep. She used to go to bed fine but now all of the sudden once I lay her down she SCREAMS and is irrate. She kicks her door and hits it until I go in there. I cannot do this anymore and I need some help. Her father isn't making it any better by belittling her and screaming at her when she gets like this. She doesn't wake up at night once she is asleep so I don't think it's night terrors. I need help please someone help me.

hornz102485

Asked by hornz102485 at 10:23 PM on Apr. 19, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• if you just moved that could be her biggest problem. new places can be scary for kids. ask her why she is scared. there may be something as simple as a shadow that she doesnt like the looks of. the biggest thing is probably to give her time to adjust.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 10:27 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• She only says when asked why she is scared that it's her tv. She freaked out when we tried to take the tv out of her room wheh she was scared so Idk what else to do.
    hornz102485

Answer by hornz102485 at 10:28 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• My daughter all the sudden started not liking her room as well. She's been in it for over a year and she just started having similar issues. We have just recently discovered that although she had a night light and plenty of light in her room, it was actually the shadows from the night light that were causing the problem. We now ask if she wants it on or off--it's always off-- and we leave the door open and she is doing fine again. The other thing to think about is how the move has affected her. This may just be an adjustment phase and if you keep things consistentshe'll figure out that this is her room now and that's where she sleeps.
    Kimber99

Answer by Kimber99 at 10:30 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I actually did tell her if she got in bed and laid down I would keep the door open but if she got out of bed the door would be closed. So far that worked. Kimber do you shut her door after she goes to bed? I wake up at 5:30 for work and if I don't shut her door it will wake her up too early.
    hornz102485

Answer by hornz102485 at 10:34 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Moving is traumatic for children and with the door closed she thinks she's alone when she wakes up in a new place. Leave the door open and see if that helps

Answer by admckenzie at 9:56 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I agree with the whole moving thing. Our daughter made up 3 imaginary friends right after we moved. Give it time, she'll get used to it and she'll calm down.
    marine_wife0520

Answer by marine_wife0520 at 8:45 AM on Apr. 21, 2010