SAHMs...If your DH or SO walked out on you TODAY...what would you do?

My DH and I have a great realtionship, divorce has NEVER come up and I don't see it happening in the future BUT I do sometimes wonder what I would do if he left.

I'm in school (taking online classes right now to get my basics out of the way), I do not bring any income into the household, I'm 21 and prior to becoming a mom the only job I had was as a preschool teacher.

I think I would probably make plans to move in with my parents as soon as our lease was up, I would file for child support and I would go back to the preschool I worked at (director says NO MATTER WHAT there is always a job for me if I ever want to come back). It wouldn't be great income but it would pay the bills and help me get on my feet until I graduate from school.

What would you do if your DH or SO walked out on you TODAY?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:40 PM on Apr. 19, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Well depending on what came up in the divorce .. I would either buy him out of our house or sell it and take my half after paying off what's left of our mortgage. I would get a job as a counselor because I already have my bachelors degree in psychology and where I live there are quite a few organizations that hire people all of the time. I would buy a smaller house with the money from our house now or try to stay in our house if I could afford it.

I'm sure I would be just fine, but I would be very sad because I would have just lost my best friend and partner in life. I would also want joint custody because he is a wonderful dad.
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 10:47 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• im 19 with no high school diploma or g.e.d, and im also a sahm, so if he would of walk-out on us i would call my parents and live with them until i get on my feets, and i wish to god this doesnt happen!
    Anonymous

• go back home. live with mom. file for child support. find a job. find a house. live.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 11:02 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• We don't live together so I'd be ok financially. I'd be sad but I'd get over it. There are other fish in the sea. If a man chooses to leave and stay gone then it wasn't meant to be anyway.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:05 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I would be screwed. I have a high school education and three children to raise. I would more than likely have to move back in with my folks and start over again. This time on my own....
    CaseyErin

Answer by CaseyErin at 11:17 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Exactly what CaseyErin said. I'd be in the same boat.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 11:43 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I'd have it rough, but I'd real relieved after the shock was gone. I've tried a few times before to get away. Maybe thats what I need, but he'd never do it. He has it too easy with me around to take care of the kids and his crap.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:42 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I'd also be screwed. I have no money, and have cut off my druggie dad so going "home" isn't an option. I guess I'd figure it out the best I could. I can't see Justin being hateful enough to leave and not help at least his daughter have a safe place to live.
    LunaB

Answer by LunaB at 1:06 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• First, kick his ass. Second, pick one of my past jobs and go back to work.

But we are like your OP, great marriage and we won't divorce.
    palexander

Answer by palexander at 1:59 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• We've been married for more than 20 yrs. If he seriously wanted to leave now, I would probably say "See ya!" He is the one who can't function without me. I would be perfectly fine. A little pissed, but fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:47 AM on Apr. 20, 2010