help me.. why doesnt my son listen to me or his dad! ughh

i dont know what i did worng, im soo confussed on why doesnt my son listen to me. im a home stay mom, my husband does all the working. so im the one that mostly around my son. he doesnt listen to NOTHING I SAY. If i tell him no dont touch that, he'll still do it, if i tell him please come here he will start go the other way, if i try to get somthing out of his hands cause he wont give it to me, hell start yelling, i try putting that mean face on and i get loud to see if i scare him but nope he just starts laughing. ugh i dont know what to do, i do like to visit none of my firends cause my son wont listen to me.. any tips on what i can do.. it it bad if i start putting him in time out when he dosent listen? his 2 yrs old, and only child..
thanks to all..

yamil519

Asked by yamil519 at 10:44 PM on Apr. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Oh, you should definitely start putting him in time out. I think he probably does just think it's funny when you yell at him because he doesn't think you will do anything. If he learns that when he doesn't listen he will get a time out then there is a negative consequence to his behavior. It will take him a few times to learn what will happen when he gets time out but then more and more when you threaten time out he will listen to you, and if he doesn't then you give him a time out. Just do it for two minutes, and be prepared to put him back in the time out spot a few times at first until he learns he has to stay there. It's amazing how they catch on, my daughter is 18 months but she learned quickly that she has to stay in the time out spot. Pick someplace where there are no toys, tv, etc to be a distraction or make it pleasant. And remember that he is 2 and will test his boundaries and misbehave sometimes- you're doing ok. GL
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 10:54 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• First of all this is completely normal behavior for this age, he is testing his limits and testing you. This is the time to start consistancy with however you plan on disciplining him.....but whatever you choose whether it be time out, taking things away from him, turning the television off or a combination of all of these you have to be consistant or they pick up on the fact that they are running things.....time out works pretty well for my 2 1/2 yr o;d cause she hates it! We barelt ever have to put her in it. If you try it the main point is for them not to be able to see you while they are in time out, and if he gets off the chair you need to put him back on it and start the 2 mins over, they learn quickly and if they want to get out of timeout, they will stay on the chair till you come back and get them. if you handle it now, it should only be a phase if you let it continue it will become a patern....good luck!
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 11:04 PM on Apr. 19, 2010