mid term grades are in and mama is pissed!

I know she isnt a straight A student... I know she is an A/B student... Im good with that... but a flip'n 73% on her math AND she has had a tutor since the begining of the term!

Well hell there is a C on the transcrips... we can just knock a ton of colleges right off the list!! And she is only a freshman!!!!!

She is a great kid, out going, funny, athletic.. but if she cant pull her head out of her what ever and start getting some decent grades she is going to be soooooo sad come her senior year when all her friends are getting ready to start exciting lives away at school and she is stuck with minimal choices.

IM PISSED.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:44 PM on Apr. 19, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• What kind of colleges are you looking at? I just don't think one C is going to knock a bunch off, especially her freshman year. Is she upset about it? I would just think if she already feels bad about it and you're angry it's going to make her feel even worse. If she thinks it's funny or doesn't care then there is something to be angry about. But if she is going to a tutor anda actually trying then you shouldn't be upset and just accept that math isn't her best subject.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 10:49 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I think you are overreacting. 1 C is not that bad. And you think that just because she got a C on a MIDTERM that she isn't going to be able to get into college? I graduated with a 1.9 GPA and got accepted to the first college I applied to then transferred at semester to a major university. I understand that a C is not normal for her but this isn't even on a report card and its 1 little slip up. I think you are freaking out over nothing.
    Anonymous

• I want to add, again I don't know what colleges you're thinking of, but I got a C in Chemistry my junior year, had mostly Bs in math and science all through high school, and got into the honors program at Eastern Michigan University with no problem. I chose to go there because it was close to home and I wanted to stay close to home, but I could have applied and gotten into plenty of colleges. Not Ivy league for sure, but I still had a LOT of options.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 10:53 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Im absolutely not showing this to her.... Im accepting at all times in front of her. But it is ridiculous when I know with more effort she can pull out a B... even a very low B.  She is NOT this stupid.... I know she isnt.  The thing that really really really makes me mad is that she doenst have 100% on the homework... that is unacceptable.  I asked her to go talk to the teacher and she wouldnt THAT really is just stupid.  The teacher told the parents that every child can get 100% on the home work by just DOING IT.  She wouldnt understand a question so she wouldnt do it.  I told her to talk to the teacher about how she should handle this... should she leave it blank and miss points or go early and get help or try it and at least get points for attempting it.

Im just mad and Im venting here because I can not vent out loud at home.

Anonymous

• She is NOT this stupid

You think only stupid kids get Cs? Did you know that a C means average? And A's and B's are above average scoring?
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:01 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Well that makes sense then if you just need to vent and aren't taking it out on her. I think it hurt me a lot that I was a mostly an A student and all my mom ever did was complain about the Bs I got. I know she was in her own way trying to encourage me to do better, but it made me feel like such a failure. I don't know what advice to give on getting her to do things like finish her homework and talk to the teacher though.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 11:01 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Thanks mybella81.

She came to me a bit ago and was very upset with herself... I DIDNT SAY A WORD... I huged her and asked what she needed from me to help her on her way. SHE KNOWS she can do better.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:25 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Lord have Mercy...give the poor child a break. She is in 9th grade, how is she suppose to enjoy her high school years if you are breathing down her neck about her grades and getting into college? Do you know how much pressure she is under? High school today is so much worse then it was even 10 yrs. ago. My daughter is graduating this year and so many of her friends are having breakdowns because of all the stress and pressure their parents have been putting on them for the past 3-4 yrs. Between keeping their grade averages up, taking a heavy load of AP classes, hours of homework each night and way too many extra-curricular after school clubs,etc. they are on the verge of collapsing. They just want school to be over with! MMMMM... I wonder why so many of these kids are the ones drinking and smoking pot????? They say it helps them to cope & forget about all that even if it is for just a few hours.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:12 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• My son applied to and got accepted to 3 really good colleges. I think that in 4 years of high school he had 2 C's on his report card. It didn't knock him out of the running for anything. He's 7th in his class and a member of the National Honor Society.

Sadly parents like you produce students who get to college and let loose and generally don't finish college. Chill a bit! It's ONE C on a mid-term progress report. She has the rest of the quarter to bring it up to a B or an A. Don't flip.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:04 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• That's way too much pressure on her. She's a freshman and has time to bring those grades up before college. You sound like you are disappointed in YOUR dreams and not thinking about her. Grades are not an accurate display of the child's ability. Maybe the teacher didn't do a good job of teaching. Maybe the tests were not based on what she was told was going to be on the test (been there done that). Be supportive. She's probably upset enough so you being down on her won't help her self esteem. When kids stumble we help support them. We don't push them to the ground and make it worse. Lighten up
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on Apr. 20, 2010