Do they still do Amniocentesis for women over 35?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:04 PM on Apr. 19, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I know that they did one for my aunt when she was 40 and preg, not sure about 35 though.
    mamasitax2

Answer by mamasitax2 at 11:07 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• not sure but i can tell you they arent that bad, i had one done with my last baby cause i was having contractions but not progressing so they had to check lung development so i could be induced. the fear of the needle was worse than the needle itself...
    Anonymous

• I doubt it is mandatory. They offer them to all patients so I am sure they would offer one to a 40 year old because of the increased risks of birth defects. I know that if I was 40, I would still refuse so then what could they do, really?
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 11:33 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I had one at 38 and at 40....big stomach cramp when the needle entered the uterus but nothing real bad. I allowed it because there are several things that can be wrong that can be fixed inutero but would be detrimental to the child after birth.
    mbc324

Answer by mbc324 at 11:58 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Yes, but it's not mandatory. You can refuse to have it done.
    NursyLori

Answer by NursyLori at 4:57 AM on Apr. 20, 2010