Do they still do Amniocentesis for women over 35?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:05 PM on Apr. 19, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Yes. They can test for abnormalities within the fetus.
    Anonymous

• It's not the first test most doctors will run. It's an invasive procedure so first the OB will do blood screens. If blood tests indicate additional risk factors, amnio will be ordered. You have the right to refuse and request any tests that you feel will help you make the best choices for your health and safety.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:32 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I would imagine they would since that's when the risks up for different problems. I recently had my quad marker come back abnormal....they sent me to a specialist who told me I had a 1/10 chance of having a baby with downsyndrome. We did sono's and they offered a amnio and I refused.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:11 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• They typically do other screenings first and then give you the option of an amnio if any of those come back "positive" I was 35 when my 4th was born and will be 36 when my 5th is born - I didn't have an amnio with either of them.

Answer by missanc at 7:47 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• They suggested that to my sil and other tests (she was 37) but she just declined. You don't have to have it done. It is up to you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:19 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Yes, they still do them, although I think they offer other non-invasive tests first, and if you are 'at risk' then they ask if you want to have that done. You do have the right to say no and refuse the test.
    With my 3rd and last I did have amnio done, as I wanted to make sure the baby was healthy (I had a miscarriage the year before) although I was going to have the baby no matter what the results were.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 8:46 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Yes, but you CAN refuse it. Just because it's offered doesn't mean you have to do it. it tests for genetic abnormalities and can tell you gender if you really wanted to know.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 11:45 AM on Apr. 20, 2010