"unschooling"

http://www.parentdish.com/2010/04/19/the-unschooling-movement-schools-out-forever/?ncid=webmaildl3

Can you believe these people?? this is ALMOST as bad as the people who refuse to take there kids to the hospital when theyre dying because they think they can heal them by praying. these poor kids.

PURPULbutterfly

Asked by PURPULbutterfly at 11:17 PM on Apr. 19, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Let me ask everyone this. Does a chemist need the same skills and knowledge as a photographer? a dancer? a biologist? an engineer? a police officer? a firefighter? a business man? a grocer? a farmer?

***
    No, but through a DIVERSE educational experience, and being able to socialize with students who ALSO have diverse educational experiences, their world opens up, and they can then make informed decisions on who or what they want to be when they grow up. My opinion is, (for example) a child who is "unschooled" and living on, and learning about farming, is likely to only have acquired skills to work on a farm. Had they been exposed to other disciplines, MAYBE they would have wanted to become a doctor, a scientist, a teacher...who knows! I think "unschoolers" are really limiting their children to their community.

continued
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:22 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I unschool my children (although we are not radical unschoolers), and guess what, they are happy, healthy, and learning so much more than their public schooled peers. Just because it's not the way you were taught, doesn't mean it can't work.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 11:22 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I would be interested in hearing from anyone in here who does this......I would like to know how they think this prepares their children for the real world and to lead an adult life.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 11:22 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Yeah, I don't really agree with it but it is not even remotely similar to denying medical treatment to a dying child.

Anonymous

• my 2.5boys do you teach them anything academic, or is there no schooling at all?
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 11:24 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• http://www.cafemom.com/answers/405241/Unschooling

Here, read these questions from earlier. They will kind of show how the kids learn.

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:25 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• http://www.unschooling.com/                    The family that the OP is talking about are "Radical" UNschoolers. All are not exactly like that.

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:28 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Of course I teach them things. Just today, my four year old and I were practicing addition in the car. It's not about letting them run wild, it's about teaching them thru life, instead of thru instruction. My kids learn about what interests them. Sometimes it's math, sometimes it's science, sometimes it's history, etc.... But everyday they ask questions, and we find the answers. It may not be in the same order the school would teach it, but they are learning it regardless.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 11:28 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• This year so far, we have "studied" volcanoes, properties of matter, community service, what makes the wind blow, and so much more. My "kindergartner" can multiply (a skill he taught himself). With out any formal lessons from me, my children explore the world around them, and pick up the skills they want and need. People have this misconception that children don't want to learn. When really, it's not that they don't want to learn, it's that they don't want to learn things that are of no use, or no interest to them.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 11:33 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• It was just a question, this is my first time ever hearing of this. I would rather ask the question than just presume its ridiculous.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 11:36 PM on Apr. 19, 2010