Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What's the difference between special ed and IEP?

My 8 yr old has an IEP but my ex husband is pushing for him to go special ed. What is the difference? He's 8 and in 2nd grade. He repeated kindergarten.


Asked by Anonymous at 11:22 PM on Apr. 19, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

This question is closed.
Answers (6)
  • Putting him in a self contained ESE class is a very serious move. Whatever his learning disability is, it makes it more difficult for him learn at the same rate as other children. That doesn't mean he won't learn the material though. Putting him in a self contained class could quite possibly do more harm than good. If he's functioning higher than the other kids around him he could regress. By having him in the regular classes for part of the day, he'll be more motivated and be exposed to more skills.


    Answer by maxswolfsuit at 11:32 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

  • Hmmm.... I've heard my friend who is a speech pathologist say she does IEPs, but I have NO clue what they are!

    Answer by Adelicious at 11:24 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

  • Special ed is just the term they use for programs for students with an IEP. If he has an IEP he already is in "special ed." But that term isn't really used anymore.


    Answer by maxswolfsuit at 11:25 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

  • op here - IEP is an individualized education plan. He basically gets taken out of regular class 4 days a week for one on one help. I am under the impression that full on special ed will place in a classroom with children of all grade levels who have difficulty learning. I am terrified of this.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

  • It's the same thing. Unless he means he wants him to get help from a Special Education Instructor, who is someone who usually works along side PT's, OT's, and Speech pathologists in schools. My daughter used to have 4 specialist and one was a special ed teacher. But basically your IEP is the plan they use to get your child all the special help they need in school. There is also something some schools use called "otherwise medically impaired" which is for kids who may have some issues but are not considered special needs and don't qualify for an IEP.


    Answer by BlooBird at 11:31 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

  • op here - that's what I am talking about. Thank you for putting it into words maxswolfsuit. The school is against it but since my ex was in that type of class he is pushing for it. Currently my son is doing average in the class of his peers. The teacher says he is "right in the middle". Thanks again.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 PM on Apr. 19, 2010