• In the Spotlight:

allergies?

What can I do to help with my 2 1/2 year old's allergy symptoms.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:29 PM on Apr. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You can talk to your dr about it and/or try a half tsp of benydryl
    Anonymous

• What symptoms and what kind of allergies? Irregardless, I'd start with talking to your doctor.

If you're talking about seasonal allergies, the doctor may suggest a daily maintenance anti-histamine like Claritin or Zytec. These are both available over the counter in children's formulas but you'll need a doctor to help you determine the correct dosage. You'll also want to make sure you're child is getting a bath every evening after being outside to wash the pollen off. Limit outside time on high pollen days. Run the A/C instead of opening windows on stuffy warm days.

My DD has severe food allergies and seasonal allergies to pollen. The pollen is BAD this year. She went from having a runny nose when pollen counts picked up to breaking out in hives any time she was outside. After a visit with her allergist, we're on Claritin daily, the A/C when it's warm out and showers any time she's been outside a while. It's helped a LOT!
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:35 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Childrens Claritin has a dosage on it for children 2yrs and up. You only have to give it once every 24hrs too.
    Anonymous