Why do so many people think that helping the homeless is not "their problem"?

Ok so first off i work at a youth shelter and i see first hand the problems being homeless can bring.Recently there has been a real interest in our homeless inebriate population because they keep dying outside in the past 2 years their have been 25 deaths of homeless people of all ages that have died in our city.Also their are hopes of putting in a "wet" housing facility for adult inebriates....does anyone have any thoughts on these issues?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:13 AM on Apr. 20, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I assume you mean housing which allows alcohol for alcoholics to live in?
    This will seem cold and unfair, but I don't think an alcoholic's housing problem is my problem, anymore than my electricity bill is theirs. I understand that not every person on the streets has arrived there by choice, that alcoholism is an illness etc etc, but I have made choices too, I have my own battle scars, and I have had to either get up and keep walking or fall down and stay down. I don't think that by providing wet housing facilities will improve the situation, any more than providing safe drug rooms has eased the problem of addicts on the streets. In 2 yrs 25 homeless people have died?? Those are better odds than child abuse statistics, domestic violence, even the risk of crossing a street, more than 25 pedestrians have died in our city in the past 2 years.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:28 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• No I don't think wet housing is the answer. If you are that concerned about these people have them committed to a mental health complex for rehab. When and if they are rehabilitated then they can build their life back. If not they stay there where they can get medical care, meals and shelter. Making shelters for alcoholics and drug addicts where they can use will not change the outcome, dead is dead. It will only change the geography from an alley to a room. The worse thing we ever did in this country was close down all the mental health complexes and set everyone free because it was in humane in the 70's. We did need to overhaul the system and re-evaluate how we treated people. But leaving people to their own devices and self medicating didn't help.

Anonymous

• What I think is sad is when family gives up on the alcoholics and let them dye in the streets. A good family will choose someone to take gaurdianship and oversee the well being of the alcoholic family member.
    my husband comes from a big family of 5 brothers and one is a drunk so another brother took action and now the drunk is sober and in a nursing home and when we visit he says hes being beaten and wants to move...we know this is a ploy to get him out of there and back on the bottle.
    The drunks on the street don't care, only we sober people do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:43 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• what's a "wet" housing facility for adult inebriates?
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 12:48 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• POSTER HERE: The wet housing facility here would consist of allowing homeless inebriates a place to stay(paying rent) and also teach classes on awareness and such but also allow them to drink in their rooms and that is it.I am not sure on other small things but the is the main idea.The same thing has been done in Seattle which is a much larger city.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:55 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Don't they need to go cold turkey for them to get sober. My father's been in AA 23yrs
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 1:09 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• OP, I am pretty sure I know what city you are talking about and where the facility will be. It is really hard to weigh the pros and cons of a wethouse. I work with many substance abusers and chronic inebriates. Many will choose not to go to the wethouse because even though they will be able to drink there will still be rules that they need to follow. I can understand why people are concerned. Who is going to pay for it? Who is going to pay for the extra law enforcement that will likely be needed to patrol that area? Let's be real...when you get a bunch of addicts in one location something is bound to happen. I think many feel that the wethouse will be a location for drug deals since many of the alcoholics also have drug issues too. There really is a lot of help already in that area, but people are not willing to take advantage of the services that are offered to them.
    FL2AK

Answer by FL2AK at 1:27 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• American taxpayers help enough with the Federal / State welfare / social services programs (MEDICAID) & emergency room visits. All services would be much better if they were not plagued & molested with / by illegal immigrants.
    YOURChildren

Answer by YOURChildren at 1:32 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• It doesn't sound like a good idea to me. If the goal is to get these people off the street and into a productive lifestyle (ie a job) then enabling them to continue a destructive addiction such as drugs or alcohol is not the answer. You would just be paying for them to die in a warm room instead of in a cold alley or park. I hate the thought of people being homeless, however there are some who choose to be so, and you cannot help them. Then there are those who should be in a mental health hospital or a rehab center. Lastly, there are those who DO need help, and some of these probably won't accept the help. I would think the best thing to do would be to help those who are willing to be helped. And a shelter where they can continue to drink is not help.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 1:39 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• *Sigh* my answer will not be popular. People all have choices. You have a choice to get on the street or do what it takes to get help and stay off the streets. People are prideful and do not like to ask for help. Too bad. So sad. I feel sorry for them and the loss of a productive member of society, but when does it become THEIR fault due to THEIR choices???
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:44 AM on Apr. 20, 2010