Do nurses care about their patients?

I know it's a job to care for the sick and wounded, etc, but do they actually care about the patients they see or is it just that, a job? When I mean care, I mean do they have sympathy or feel for their situation? It would be difficult for me to be a nurse, especially an ER nurse, because you deal with people in a crisis constantly, and I would feel for every single one of them. Whether it was serious or not.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:24 AM on Apr. 20, 2010 in Just for Fun

• well my mom and dad are both rns and they really care about everyone of there patients
    mrs.dewberry01

Answer by mrs.dewberry01 at 1:29 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Yes I believe so, over time you learn to slightly distance yourself emotionally, or you would be mentally drained.
    nellyb118

Answer by nellyb118 at 1:54 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• they care in a very professional way....cant attach yourself or have emotion towards them because you are there to help not to cry together...your heart always goes out for people but your major concern is to help thats your job.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 2:13 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• The good ones do. My dad had a wonderful hospice nurse who really connected with our family. She also wound up taking care of my mom, and I remember she was heartbroken over that because we'd all thought my mom would be able to beat her cancer.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:13 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Honestly, maybe 1 in 10 on average care. I use to work with 30 nurses, CNAs to RNs and only 2 of us REALLY CARED. I spent 3 weeks in the hopspital before our twins were born. I had about 8 different nurses, only 2 didn't seem to care. Our oldest twin spend 7 days in the NICU and he had 3 nurses out 8 who cared.
    palexander

Answer by palexander at 2:18 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• My mother and sister are CNAs. They have both declined to take the courses that their employer would pay for to get their RN or their LPN license because they fear they would lose patient contact. They care. But I have had a share of nurses between my deliveries and my daughters stint in the ICU to know that there are a lot that don't care enough.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 2:22 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• It's not just nurses, it's all medical professionals. It's difficult to maintain a level of professionalism & really care at the same time, but you have to find a balance. There are some that can't find that balance, and they will either end up getting way too attached to patients & emotionally burn out, or they will just be cold & lack empathy.
    I am a medic, & it's the same way for us. Personally, I found that balance very quickly. Except I don't have much empathy for those who call at 3 AM for a stubbed toe (yes, seriously).
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 4:02 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• when i had my shoulder dislocated for the millionth time last year, the nurses did NOT care one bit. They threw me in a room and didn't check on me once in 4 hours...

However a couple months later I had to get surgery to fix the problem... the nurses I had than cared deeply. It was out patient surgery so after I woke up they gave me something soft to eat and than helped me to my ex dh's car plus they called me atleast once a day because they knew I was being left home alone within a day after surgery
    Dingleberries

Answer by Dingleberries at 4:22 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I care about my patients. I admit, some of them get on my nerves at times, but so does my husband. LOL
    NursyLori

Answer by NursyLori at 4:54 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I absolutely care about my patients.
    heathermarie32

Answer by heathermarie32 at 6:23 AM on Apr. 20, 2010