Do I have to wait a year for divorce?

My husband and I have been separated since Nov 2006. I have heard that you must wait a year (regardless how long you have been separated for before hand) to go to court after you file for separation or divorce form. Then I heard that you could be divorced just about immediately after filling out divorce forms if you have been separated for a year or more. My info is that I have a child by him and I live in Louisiana. I am awaiting news from an attorney but have to wait for maybe up to 30 days first and I just want to know before hand. I have not filled any paper of separation yet. So, my question is, even though he and I have been split up for 3 and a half years do I still have to wait another year to finally make it to court once I file for divorce?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:58 AM on Apr. 20, 2010 in Relationships

• It depends on the state. Mine was in California and yes, it was almost a year before it became final, but the court dates were quick.
    GMMOLLY

Answer by GMMOLLY at 4:27 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Go talk to a Lawyer. Every state is different. When I divorced in Washington state we filed the paper work, then we had to wait 3 months for the divorce to be final.

Answer by louise2 at 6:46 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• You could google your state's statutes but if it is a non-contested divorce it shouldn't take long. Just agree on Child Support and bills, personal property and real estate if you own it and it should only take a couple of months. There is a class you have to take when you have kids but that shouldn't take long. I'd get the ball rolling though if you don't want to wait any longer.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:09 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• In NC we have to wait a year after separating before divorce

Answer by missanc at 8:56 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• in CO if you file for legal separation then if it's been 6 months the divorce goes right through, if you didn't file for legal separation then then tere's a 90 day period inbetween when you file and when the divorce goes through
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 11:51 AM on Apr. 20, 2010