Is Military Tricare being used as political game or gimmick in healthcare bill?

Congress continued to take only clumsy temporary steps to relieve another source of anxiety for Medicare and TRICARE users -- a scheduled 21.2 percent reduction in reimbursements to participating doctors. If such a cut were allowed to take effect, it could severely crimp access to care.

*The American Medical Association has called it "temporary patches funded by budget gimmicks."

*The formula, if allowed to take effect this year, would drop Medicare fees for doctors by 21.2 percent.

http://www.military.com/features/0,15240,213639,00.html

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:14 AM on Apr. 20, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• The result has been a growing budget hole for Medicare and a chronic threat of deeper and deeper fee cuts for physicians who treat Medicare and TRICARE patients. TRICARE fees are limited by Medicare rates.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:16 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• How can anyone say no to military benefits. Are the military being used as a budgetary pawn in the politics of health-care reform?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:18 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• 21% I believe it. The President already said he wants all military to pay 10% across the board for all medical costs including combat related injury. So this doesnt surprise me. There has been alot of things that this President has done so far that has shown that the military is not one of his priorities. Im not an Obama hater. I just thought it was kinda weird how I keep hearing and seeing things about how the military love Obama. I have never seen this in my experience. I havent met one person who is happy with this President and his admin that are in the military, or military families. I def. see some cuts in the military's future. It is a shame though, we have to make sure everyone has healthcare, yet lets cut benefits for military and veterans. That is a shame. I guess that is just society now. I have seen alot of people supporting the military, and some real aholes who think we are priviledged. Now thats crazy.
    Sillybillymel

Answer by Sillybillymel at 9:26 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I just thought it was kinda weird how I keep hearing and seeing things about how the military love Obama. I have never seen this in my experience. I havent met one person who is happy with this President and his admin that are in the military, or military families.

I've met perhaps 5 out of at least 30 mil. families that are pro-Obama. NONE are Pro-democratic Congress..... jmo...

OP, I dunno... I am not a huge fan of Tricare. 

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:38 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• The President already said he wants all military to pay 10% across the board for all medical costs including combat related injury.

WHAT????????  You surely don't mean that the people that sacrifice on behalf of our country are expected to pay 10% of their medical bills for injuries they sustain while in combat, do you?  I will reserve the rest of my comment until I know more about this.  Perhaps I have not been paying enough attention.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:01 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• **The President already said he wants all military to pay 10% across the board for all medical costs including combat related injury.**

Unfortunately, I believe it. There was a "joke" email circulating a couple months ago that said Obama thought military members should be responsible for ALL combat injury costs because "they volunteered. They should be responsible for anything that happens." Snoops.com refuted that particular email but it wouldn't surprise me at all to learn he wants all military to pay 10%. I'd hate to see what 10% of my husband's costs for getting shot and needing a lung resection plus four months of hospital recuperation would have been!
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 10:20 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Article:To replace the formula and make a permanent doctor pay fix, Congress would need to find $240 billion in offsets or allow the budget deficit to climb by suspending pay-as-you-go deficit reduction rules. The fee issue is separate from national health care reform. It's a long-ignored problem resulting from a mechanism called Sustainable Growth Rate (SGR) adopted in the Balanced Budget Act of 1997. SRG sets spending targets for Medicare physician services. If annual targets are hit, doctor rates are to be adjusted by medical inflation alone. If targets are exceeded, doctor reimbursements are to be lowered. Critics say SGR targets were set too low from the start, and haven't taken account of important cost growth factors like the intensity of services provided due to medical advances and technology.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:39 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Sustainable Growth Rate (SGR) adopted in the Balanced Budget Act of 1997

So, they are trying to undo CLINTON's balanced budget requirements which are what lowered pay for Dr's in the first place? Wasn't Clinton made God-like or something by libs for his 'balanced budget'?  hrmmmm

Congress would need to find $240 billion in offsets or allow the budget deficit to climb by suspending pay-as-you-go deficit reduction rules.

So, libs can make Republicans look bad for requiring Congress abide by Democrats OWN pay-as-you-go deficit reduction rules.  Pathetic and Typical.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:42 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• ENGLISH please ;P
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I am not surprised. I can only imagine how much worse this will make TRICARE. It was crap to begin with. I have had horrible experiences with them in several areas of care AND in several regions of the country. I was in labor for 3.5 days with my youngest and both of us almost died..all because the doctor was at 28% and COULD NOT do a c-section.

I said here on cm not too long ago that changes were in the works for TRICARE. Co-pays and possibly deductibles are on the way.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:39 AM on Apr. 20, 2010