Sharing spoon with your baby?

What do you think about this statement;
"If you have poor dental health and you taste your baby's food and then pop the same spoon into his mouth, you're putting him at risk."
-- Mark Helpin, DMD, pediatric dentist, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:35 AM on Apr. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The thing is the bacteria that can cause dental carries are common and they can get in the baby's mouth from toys and from food. If you wanted to make sure your child wasn't exposed you couldn't take your child anywhere. The bacteria is just one factor in a child getting carries. If you breastfeed and take care of your baby's teeth then you are reducing your baby's risk in those ways.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:19 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I have weak teeth,and I really don't think sharing a spoon with my baby would pass that traight on to her. That said, practicing good dental hygiene I would think is important. You don't want to get the scummy germs off of your teeth and introduce them to you baby. At least, thats how I would take that statement.
    IrishMommaC

Answer by IrishMommaC at 8:39 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• i think this statement is most likely referring to bacteria of a rotting mouth, and not your typical mouth.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:43 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• you are correct happy2bmom25-- the dentist is referring to the transfer of mouth bacteria from your mouth to baby's.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:16 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• your baby is exposed to all of your bacteria anyway right? doesnt u kiss the baby, hold the baby close, my baby would try to suck my fingers, cheeks, lips, anything that came close to his mouth, so i dont think it means for the average mouth either, maybe for someone with a gum disease or hasnt brushed in a few years, but stinky breath germs, nah!
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 9:40 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Yes it's talking about bacteria, the thing is that bad teeth during pregnancy also effects the babies teeth before they are born.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 10:42 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I heard something recently that you can transfer cavities with a kiss. Don't know how true this is, but if it were true then I'm sure you could transfer them with a spoon. I'm sure it has something to do with bacteria.
    AngelOnBoard

Answer by AngelOnBoard at 1:16 PM on Apr. 20, 2010