How do dentists "keep" patients?

The question about sharing the spoon reminded me of a time my friend said that dentists deliberately place cavities on your teeth. So if you go to fix one cavity you'll be getting more on your way out of the dentist office. Crazy ah!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:45 AM on Apr. 20, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I stick with the same guy. I used to switch dentists and they all played the "lets replace your old fillings" game. It was crazy. Now I stick with the one guy and finally at my last appointment he said everything was fine and I didn't need anymore work done. They do get a look of defeat on their face when they can't make you spend any more money.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 9:16 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• As a former Dental Assistant I would say that your friend must have gone to a 'quack"! The Dentists I worked with and knew professionally would NEVER do or suggest work that was not needed!
    As for how my former Boss kept his patients-- he was upfront and honest and he did quality work! (did not hurt that he was drop dead handsome either--lol).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:20 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• continued......
    dentists cannot 'place cavities on your teeth' --- that is nonsense!! You either have cavities or you do not. Or is your friend trying to imply that dentists are scam artists who 'drill and fill' regardless of a need? That would be considered malpractice, and the ADA should be alerted.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:27 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• OH my....LOL.....Dentists can't "PLACE" cavities on your teeth! That is so funny. You get them when you don't brush your teeh two or three times a day,silly!!!!
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:01 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I am so scared of dentists that I wouldn't leave mine for anything. He's wonderful. I'm still nervous but he laughs at me. He's never hurt me like dentists did when I was growing up.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:32 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• My grandfather was a Dentist for over 52 years. He had more patients than he could handle. He even worked on weekends sometimes just to help people out. ALL of his patients had his home # in case of an emergency! How did he end up with all of these people? He was HONEST. He didn't use the "state of the art" stuff that cost thousands of dollars, thus pushing the cost on to patients. He bartered with people who needed work done but couldn't afford it. He did work for free when he knew the person had nowhere else to go for help. He didn't convince people of expensive work. He didn't even advertise! He sold his practice about 5 years ago and the place has been resold 2x since then b/c they can't keep patients. He sold it to a dentist whom he thought had the same principals as him and the guy turned the pracitce into crap. Very sad. HONESTY IS THE KEY :)
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 11:37 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I WENT TO THE DENTIST ONCE AND HE TOLD ME (AND MY TWIN SISTER) THAT WE NEEDED BRACES....WE BOTH HAVE PERFECTLY STRAIGHT TEETH .....HE WOULD HAVE MADE ALLOT OF MONEY OFF OF US! SO I FIGURED HE WAS A SCAM !
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Apr. 20, 2010