What is the best thing your parents ever taught you? how did they teach it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:47 AM on Apr. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• My dad taught me to respect others and myself. My mom taught me to be able to laugh at myself. I taught my children that and to always find the good in everything. They/I did it by example.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:49 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• My parents taught me to respect others and to not believe the first thing I hear or believe what I'm told just because a particular person said it. It was mainly by example.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 9:12 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• my mom taught me to always stand up for myself bc i was so softspoken as a child i often got picked on and cried ab it, now i welcome confrontation, not a fight, but she taught me how to calmly give someone a piece of your mind without even getting angry lol! her favorite line was "yea your MAMA!" LMAO
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 9:14 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• The beast parenting advice I got from my mom was "pick your battles". If Vance wants to wear rain boots with his shorts on a bright sunny day, let him. If he wants to walk next to me in the store instead of riding in the cart, let him (so long as he holds my hand or the basket). Not EVERYTHING has to be a fight. There are things that are not negotiable (teeth brushing, what's for dinner) but he needs to learn how to make decisions and be responsible for his own choices. Oh, and he's 3y/o.
    vances_mom

Answer by vances_mom at 9:18 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• My momma taught me the best lesson she said "If you can not come home and share what you have done outside of this house, do NOT do it." I never did anything I could not go back and tell my mom because I loved sharing everything with my momma. Let me tell you it got me out of a lot of troubling situations. I will be saying the same thing to my DD and I hope that she is like me and wants to share everything
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 9:57 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• My parents taught me what not to do. By example.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• My Dad taught me not to discrimate... that we all bleed red, and that money isn't everything.
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 10:37 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Have my own mind,be myself,knock before walking in (no wait that was GRANDMA)Take chances,Love myself,be kind to others.
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 10:48 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• My parents taught me to be kind to others by example, and to recognize when I was being taken advantage of . They also taught me that $ does not always bring hapiness, also by example.

Answer by older at 11:15 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• My dad didn't raise me but he still taught me a valuable lesson. Both parents taught me to work for everything you have. That alittle hard work never hurt anyone. My dad taught me this by working his butt off as an auto body man and as the owner of a full working and successful horse ranch. My mom taught me this by working her butt off cleaning houses (after the divorce), often times working two jobs just so I could have what I wanted. Later she worked and still works her but off as the manager of a convience store.

My mom taught me to respect others no matter who they were. To be tolerate of others and that NOONE was better than anyone. We all put our pants on teh same way.

We teach our children the SAME things. We teach toleration for religion, sexuality, and more. We also let our dd (the only one old enough) decide if she wants to go to church and what she believes in.
    palexander

Answer by palexander at 11:54 AM on Apr. 20, 2010