Strictly Solids (WIC involved, no bashing please.)

My son is 6 months old and gets 10 cans of formula a month and that is good for him with maybe one can left over. Next month they are dropping it from 10 cans to only 3 and then giving baby food. My question is how can I switch him to strictly baby food during the day and only give bottles at night? He is still eating like 3-4 during the night. How can I do this and how many jars should he have throughout the day?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:59 AM on Apr. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• WIC is supplemental so what they give you just helps out. It is not meant to be all baby has to eat. You HAVE to feed your child more formula then just at night! At 6 months food is just for practice and not meant to be their main nutritional source. You still need to feed baby a bottle BEFORE offering solids. The bottom line is you are going to have to buy more formula. DO NOT SHORT CHANGE YOUR CHILD because the only free stuff they give you at 6 months is a bit of formula and a bit of food.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:08 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• message me and i will give u my (unbiased, helpful) opinion ab how to help your stuff last!
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 9:11 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• WIC is famous for pulling this. Saying WIC is only for supplementing, Anon 09, is like saying FS are only for supplementing.

To the OP - your baby still needs formula during the day, even at 6 months. Formula needs to be his main source of nutrician for the first year with solids as the supplement. If WIC is going to short change him, you might have to start buying some of the formula. At 6 months a baby should be having 4-5 bottles at 7-8 ounces a day. I gave my 6 month old a jar at breakfast and one at night before bed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:27 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Anon :27, WIC IS for supplementing, so are FS - that's why the program is called SNAP (SUPPLEMENTAL Nutrition Assistance Program). You can not give your child less formula & try to make it up with solid food, that will cause damage to your child's health. If you need formula coupons to help you afford more cans, message me your address, I get coupons in the mail constantly that I don't use. But you seriously can not just short your baby on formula, you'll have to figure out another way to make some more money to buy more formula.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 9:55 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Our wic goes from 10 cans to 6-7 cans. I just don't understand their logic, it is a known fact that babies need formula or BM more then they need food. As other mom's have said food is about practice and getting them prepared for eating regularly after a year. You can not feed your baby right by doing only solids during the day and formula at night, you will have to buy your won cans.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 10:38 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I'm also on WIC. My daughter is 9 months and only gets 7 cans of formula. She also eats 3 to 4 jars of food. I still end up having to buy 1, sometimes 2 cans of formula, before the end of the month. If I'm not mistaken, the main source of nutriention is from the bottle till they are 1 year. Your baby is starving! No wonder they are waking up sooo many times at night to feed. I would too if it was the only time I got to eat. No offense, and most of all no disrespect but feed that baby.
    Anonymous

Have to agree with the above. Food in the first year has LITTLE nutritional value. If not breastfeeding then he needs formula mainly. You can get coupons (go online to manufacturers site) or you can buy from consignment shops for much less, or looks online at craigslist for ppl selling them and you can also try walmart brand.
    threeeunder3

Answer by threeeunder3 at 12:22 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• At 6 months there is no reason for him to be eating 3-4 times/night. You need to cut way back!
    Anonymous

• I would NOT take WIC's advice here. That child needs formula, and more then just at night. I believe something like around 32 oz or so a day. Solids before 12 mos are NOT the main source of nutrition. ALWAYS nurse, or offer a bottle, THEN offer solids AFTER the baby has had their meal. I'd seek a 2nd opinion from your pedi, or preferably, a nutritionist.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:07 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Babies need human milk or formula for brain growth. It needs to be their main source of nutrition for the first year. If they miss out on brain growth in the first year it can't be made up later. Just formula feeding can cause a baby to have 10 IQ points lower or more. If you aren't even giving your baby enough formula for the second 6 months of life you could be lowering your baby's IQ to a level that the baby may have problems it's whole life. If the baby would have had a 90 IQ and it dropped to 70 because of how you fed, that would be horrible!

If you can't afford to buy the formula your baby needs then you need to relactate so your baby can get your milk. It would be neglect to not feed your baby formula because WIC stopped giving it to you for free.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:13 PM on Apr. 20, 2010