Is this normal 4 year old behavior and how do I stop it?

My 4 year old has started humping his hands at bedtime. When I catch him and tell him to stop he giggles about it. I t drives me crazy and I find it totally yuck but I hear that it can be normal behavior. But why is it normal and can I make it stop?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on Apr. 20, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• im trying to visualize this although i really dont want to cuz it soungs GROSS lmao but if he was going it in his room in his bed then YOU are technically the violator lol, he should know that its inappropriate to do it in front of ppl but he should feel ashamed for touching his love bug lmao! just tell him to keep it to himself and he will grow out of it, well he is a boy so not really lol
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 9:50 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• It's normal. Just ignore it.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:54 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I would say yes it is normal. My oldest use to sleep with this teddy bear. There was nothing out of the ordinary, then one day he just started humping it. I dang near killed over LOL. I consulted alot of people on that and it amazed how many little boys humped something at one time or another. As long as he's not doing it in public. I wouldnt make him feel ashamed of his body. That may lead to whole nother can of worms.

I wanna tell you he'll grow out of it and he will. But he'll probably start doing something else wierd and/or gross...boys?!?
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 9:56 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• The most common advice that I have heard is to teach them that it is a private issue and let them know where it would be appropriate (in the shower, in a private place, ect) So, your son already has the private place (in his bed)

Trying to make him stop altogether, probably isn't a battle that I would undertake. But if he starts doing it in inappropriate places then you should put your foot down.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Totally normal. Don't worry. Most children this age start to "discover" themselves.
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 11:26 AM on Apr. 20, 2010