So, yesterday I was a republican...

Yesterday I found myself, me a bleeding heart liberal, being frustrated with some handouts that someone is getting. I ranted to my husband (an "independent" who leans toward republican) who informed me that I sounded like a republican and I should watch out because I'm coming over to his side. lol

So, my question is for those of you firmly on one side, do you ever find a topic or issue that has you seeing the merit of the other side or worse yet...agreeing with it?

heatheryn

Asked by heatheryn at 9:57 AM on Apr. 20, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• At times definitely. That's the thing. Understanding an argument and seeing the merit in it doesn't necessarily mean agreeing with it. Although I'm a Christian Conservative Republican who happens to be Pro-choice. I still think abortion is wrong any form of voluntarily ending a human life is. I don't however believe it's my place to force my morality on someone else. In my mind it's between you and your conscience.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 10:40 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• no lol...I will say this though sometimes I do agree on the importance of a certain issue but not the idea/solution that a liberal would take.Alot of times imo a liberal does not think things through all that well.They tend to want to roll right into government as the solution,all too often,when really imo the better solution would not require the expansion/intervention of government.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 10:03 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• All I know, is I'm really glad that there wasn't an election yesterday. lol I'd have some serious buyers remorse going on today.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 10:06 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• liberals tend to think with their hearts. Conservatives with their heads. Sometimes there could be a happy mixture between the two if people would look.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:07 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Carpy, I agree with you. I'm not really a bleeding heart liberal. I tend to be more liberal especially on social issues like gay marriage, abortion and things like that but I am much more conservative when it comes to financial things, at least usually. My dad is a straight middle of the road guy, republican here, democrat there, he actually has a much better handle on the happy mixture than I do.

But yesterday, man let me tell you...seeing someone get everything you have when you worked your ass off and all they do is say I want it drives me INSANE!
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 10:11 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Nope. I am a conservative Rep that thinks with my heart AND my head... They tell me the same thing!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 10:13 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• You and me both. That is my problem with PA. I don't deny there are people who do need it and have no problem with it. But I also know too many people who are on PA sit at home and party and do what they want when they want and have to do nothing for it., I have known people who sold their food stamps and baby formula for drugs or a case of beer and that is where I get angry.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:14 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Again, I agree Carpy. It's supposed to be there for help to survive when necessary but not to support a way of life.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 10:17 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I agree rutter conservatives do have some heart involved as well.For instance,I see alot of folks being kept stagnent (and down) by way of government assistence.Alot of times imo it works like a trap and folks find themselves stuck.How is that right and good? Which by the way keeps most of them voting for the party that is going to keep handing them things because they have become dependant upon that.We need an awakening in this country of personal responsibility and individualism..I am going to stop or i'll get on an unstoppable roll lol.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 10:20 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I found I was a social liberal and fiscal conservative. Neither of the major parties are right for me. That is why I'm a Libertarian. And I don't even agree with that party 100%.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:25 AM on Apr. 20, 2010