is 23 weeks pregnant to early?

im 23 weeks pregnant and my breasts are already starting to leak. this is my 3rd pregnancy and it seems really early for my milk to start coming in is it just me or is it really early? if it is early is this maybe a sign that i will finally produce enough milk to breast feed this child (i only produced like 8oz a day the last 2 times)?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Apr. 20, 2010 in Pregnancy

• no . with my last baby also my third iwas leaking really early too...all good mama lol
    eSnA2008

Answer by eSnA2008 at 10:22 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Any amount of leakage is normal, from nothing at all the whole pregnancy to having to soaking through 3 shirts a day from the very beginning. And it has no bearing on how well breastfeeding will or won't go.

Since you brought it up...how do you know you were "only" producing 8 oz a day? Was the pumping output? Because what you pump has nothing to do with how much your baby gets when actually nursing; some moms don't respond to a pump at all and are still able to breastfeed successfully for 2 years or longer. The only way to know whether your baby is getting enough breastmilk is to count diapers; as long as that's good, your baby's fine.

If you really want to breastfeed, I would recommend joining the Breastfeeding Moms group here on CafeMom. You can get all your questions answered and some great advice from moms who have been there. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:22 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• yes the 8 oz was pumping because neither of my girls wanted to latch on the breast but i was determand that they would get at least some breast milk we ended up mostly formula feeding with breast milk once or twice a day !
    nikkilynn1

Answer by nikkilynn1 at 10:28 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• i dont know because my boobs never stopped leaking from my last baby to this baby that im preg with now..lol. I breastfed him until he weaned himself at 14 months.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I couldn't agree more with DragonRider. She was spot on.

Also....this isn't your milk that you're leaking. Your milk won't come in until 2-4 days post partum. I never leaked during my pregnancies, and while BFing my 3rd baby, never even leaked after my milk came in! Every pair of boobs is different :)

Another thing to consider when baby arrives, if you're determined to BF, do not let them give baby a bottle in the hospital...it can cause problems latching while trying to establish BFing. Do ALL the research you can while still pregnant and you will be well on your way to a successful BFing relationship when baby arrives. GL mama!
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 11:01 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• i know its not my milk that its colostrum but it still seems early! and you are right every pair of boobs is different and mine happen to be very large(56DD) the dr suggested that may be why the oldest wouldnt latch on and ididnt ask the second time around beacuse i assumed it was the same issue!
    nikkilynn1

Answer by nikkilynn1 at 11:41 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• its okay i leaked id say about 17weeks! i advise the AVENT pads thing they r washable n conterable
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Very large breasts do seem to make it more...challenging to say the least, but it's entirely possible to nurse. Just takes a lot of practice, and patience. Although i'm not that large, i'm still what you'd call "busty" and it took a while to figure out what worked best for the most correct latch. The football hold worked wonders in the beginning while baby was so little...as she got older, it was easier to use differet holds.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 6:05 PM on Apr. 20, 2010