My husband and I are taking our 3 year old to Punta Cana in July for a family vacation and his best friend's wedding. Any suggestions on how to keep our son entertained on the airplane?

irishmom685

Asked by irishmom685 at 10:48 AM on Apr. 20, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Get a portable DVD player. I heard one once on a plane, from the seat in front of me, and honestly my first thought was who in the world would watch a movie on a plane w/o headphones? But then I saw it was to keep a baby entertained, and I thought, brilliant! SO much better than listening to a crying baby! And your little one might be big enough to wear earbuds anyway - but if not, I think the other passengers would still rather listen to The Wiggles than an unhappy child!! Also just bring some new toys, and bring them out one at a time - that way you always have another new toy waiting whenever s/he gets bored with the others or is really having a hard time sitting still.
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 12:05 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• good ideas felipes mom!
    books, and coloring books and crayons. crayola makes a lot of pretty neat no mess artsy things, if that might keep your son busy.has he tried any handheld video games yet? my son was 3 1/2 when he got his nintendo ds. we got him one b/c his older brother got one, and we were shocked that he could actually play it.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 2:08 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• If the DS is too complicated for him a handheld v-smile is an awesome investment. And all of the games are learning games unlike the DS.
    When we took a 20+ hour car ride with our almost 2 year old we took snacks, a little magnadoodle, a few little toys, & his stuffed animal.
    splatz

Answer by splatz at 4:45 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Not sure what he is into but I love Color Wonder coloring books. They make paintbrushes and markers. My daughter hardly used the markers after she got the paintbrushes, she really likes those. They only work on color wonder paper and don't dry out like markers do if the cap is left off for a long time. They have Toy Story and Spongebob, and Cars if he likes the more boyish stuff. My daughter likes them all. You can get them almost anywhere, Walmart, Walgreens, etc. They don't take up much room either. I keep hers in a ziploc bag so the books and markers are all kept together and don't get lost.
    Tracee-815

Answer by Tracee-815 at 6:34 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Benadryl... J/K!

We brought coloring books, crayons, Ipod with movies for her, and she brought on her favorite toy. We also sat her next to the window seat and she stared out the window for at least a half hour! lol

Have fun!
    marine_wife0520

Answer by marine_wife0520 at 8:43 AM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I have taken my children on many many vacations and plane trips. I usually go to the dollar store and get a bunch of toys and put them in his backpack for the ride. I don't let him look at them until we're on the plane that way they are new and more interesting. I also take lots and lots of snack and maybe a dose of benedryl or bonine to make him a little sleepy.

We're going in 10 days to Cancun. I have 3 children two 4 year olds and a 2 year old and I am a little nervous. I will have my fingers crossed on the 4 hour flight...
    SLCmomx2

Answer by SLCmomx2 at 7:11 PM on Apr. 23, 2010