If you have cats, how did they react when you brought your new baby home?

MummaMel

Asked by MummaMel at 10:48 AM on Apr. 20, 2010 in Pets

• honestly, they could have cared less
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 10:50 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• we have a big fat fluffy black and caramel colored cat who is the SWEETEST most loving cat in the world...she's been sleeping with my daughter since day one and its so precious to see them cuddling...when i was pregnant she would sleep on my belly, almost as if she was protecting it. i couldn't ask for a better cat
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• My cats wanted nothing to do with the baby and just stayed as far away from her as possible. My one cat used to try and lay on my stomach too but the baby didnt like it and used to kick the cat then the cat would start hissing at my stomach.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 11:00 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• One was fine, the other one hated my oldest. She actually laid ON him when I would nurse. She just didn't like kids. I gave her to my brother and she's fine. She still hates kids though... LOL
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 11:22 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Mine would sniff my sons feet when he slept, normally he slept in the living room during the day. Otherwise the cats didnt seem to care. It wasnt until my son was mobile that the cats really paid attention and then one was patient and would let my son grab him the other ran and hid in our bedroom. When I was pregnant they loved to curl up around my belly.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 11:23 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• I had three cats at the time and nothing really changed. My male cat, Dusty ( he has since passed) was raised around kids so he was really laid back and could have cared less. My other two were adopted when I was 17 so they did not get the same socialization that Dusty had gotten. Kiddie hates change so she just hung back especially once Kylie was on the go. Winnie had been a semi feral cat so she was extremely shy and hid from her in my room. They were all very good with her when they did come in contact with her but my girls did not interact with her until she was a bit older. Dusty Died with Kylie was 2 years old but in that time he was awesome with her.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 11:43 AM on Apr. 20, 2010

• My cat was terrified of her and freaked out until she was about 6 months old. My cat's weird, though. She's afraid of anything that's her size or smaller (found that out when she was like 2 and another cat of mine had kittens lol). The first time she even got near my daughter was when Kalina was sitting on my lap and my cat came up to me (not realizing the baby was there) and then just froze for like a minute lol. Then she sniffed her toe and backed away with this "please, don't hurt me!" look lmao.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 1:03 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• They were perfectly fine(and I had 4 at the time and also a dog) when my DS came home but I also got them sorta prepared by making my DH bring home a swaddle blanket with my DS 's scent on it to help with the adjustment of bringing home a new addition to the family.
    Anonymous

• My cats (at the time- they both passed on after the last was born 4yr ago) were interested in the babies, and very good natured. My female liked to snuggle up in the crib with my 1st son (when he was 5mo old). If the babies were on the floor the male cat would sniff them and snuggle up to them, or sit and watch them play. Sometimes he would even give them a kitty 'kiss' (lick). Both my cats were very tolerant of little hands grabbing, pulling and 'petting' kitty fur. They would put up with it for so long and then when it started to annoy them or they got tired of it they would get up and walk away, or jump up on the furniture out of reach.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:12 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Mine were just curious about our DD until she was old enough to pull their hair, tails, ears, etc. Of course we'd stop her, but little kids will do that for a while until they learn not to. They didn't like her, but they tolerated her or just ran away to hide. They were pretty old by the time we brought our son home (16 years and 12 years old). By then they were grumpy and territorial. The 12 yo would hiss at us and run away or just stand there and growl. The 16 yo went over to my son when he was 6 months old and scratched him, drawing blood. He was in his doorway jumper minding his own business, and the cat had to walk by me to get to him. We placed an ad and found them another home within a week. Bye, bye, kitties! Sorry to say, but they were getting aggressive with my kids, so they had to go.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:41 PM on Apr. 20, 2010